Living on The Costa – Part 2


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
February 12th 2011
Published: February 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Granada


Wednesday 12th January 2011

Using a car hired for the trip we set off to visit the Alhambra in Granada about 100 miles away.

We are lucky to avoid being involved in an accident in fog on the motorway caused by a speeding reckless driver losing control on a bend.

The snow covered Sierra Nevada mountains provide a striking backdrop to the Alhambra.

On arrival they can be seen clearly as the fog has cleared and a bright and sunny day awaits.
Here it’s cooler than on the coast and we need to wear an extra layer to keep warm.

The palace fortress of the Nasrid sultans is superb and we take our time visiting the three distinct groups of buildings the Alcazaba ( fortress ), the Nasrid Palaces and the Generalife ( summer palace ).

The boys are set a challenge of finding a particular phrase from the Koran that is reproduced in the wall decoration – Wa-la ghaliba illa-Llah ( There is no Conqueror but God ) – see pix.

The architecture and setting is stunning and we have a good day which ends pleasantly with dinner at a small local restaurant in Fuengirola on the return journey.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb