Alcazaba - Palacio Nazaríes - Generalife - Palacio de Carlos V


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
May 22nd 2011
Published: May 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This is one of those places in the world, you could possibly write about pages and pages. Your camera would flick tirelessly to capture thousands of photos of this place capturing every angle, every corner and every dimension and in various colours.

The true gem of Moorish presence - this is undoubtedly most brilliant Islamic building in Europe.

Needless to say a lot, this is the best place in Spain I have visited so far. Our journey began like a little fairy tale as the beginning of the story was full of hard fought events then the end was just wonderful. All the things are certainly capable of mesmerising me. The things I discovered were just breathtakingly fantastic. The things I felt were heart tendering.

Stretched along the top of the hill of the Assabica, the Alhambra is the stuff of fairy tales. No wonder why this place was suited by the Muslim rulers to build their magnificent palaces, mosques and a city above all for their people.
The fairy tale began when we were allowed to enter through the back entrance to the main sight without hours and hours of queuing at the main entrance. It was our lucky escape as we could save a lot of time to visit Generalife.

The Alhambra, from the Arabic al-qala’at al-hamra (red castle), was a fortress from the 9th century. The 13th- and 14th-century Nasrid emirs converted it into a fortress-palace complex adjoined by a small town (medina), of which only ruins remain. Yusuf I (1333–54) and Muhammad V (1354–59 and 1362–91) built the magnificent Palacio Nazaríes.
Palacio Nazaries is the Alhambra's true gem with its perfectly proportioned rooms and courtyards, intricately moulded stucco walls, beautiful tiling, fine carved wooden ceilings and elaborate stalactite-like muqarnas vaulting, all worked in mesmerising, symbolic, geometrical patterns. Arabic inscriptions proliferate in the stuccowork.

As I walked through corridors, doors and many beautifully decorated pillars, I realised that the money I paid to come all the way along to Malaga has been rewarded.
Palacio de Carlos V - After the conquest by the Christian force, the Alhambra’s mosque was replaced with a church and the Convento de San Francisco was built. Carlos I, had a wing of the Palacio Nazaríes destroyed to make space for a huge Renaissance palace, today the Palacio de Carlos V which stands in the middle of Alhambra.

We began strolling down toward the city centre through a massive park and exit Puerta de las Granadas.
Foodless day was worth. We couldn’t simply afford to waste our precious day at a lunch table instead we just decided to go and visit a couple of interesting places in the city centre.




Additional photos below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb