You wanna stay alive, better do what you can


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
July 2nd 2009
Published: July 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

So last Tuesday I got a text message from Lauren, au pair number 3, at 2h00 saying that she was taking the 1h14 train from Seville and was going to be in Palma at 2h00!! So pumped. So she gets there and says that the job she was doing in Seville was absolutely awful and she left early in the morning and is never going back. At lunch I told her that Katrina and I were going to Granada on Friday and she decided to come along. The week continued with the two of us ganging up on Ramón padre and dishing all of the stupid jokes back to him that he has done to us. It was wonderful. Very therapeudic.

Friday morning comes around and we woke up early to get the train to Córdoba then the bus to Granada from there. Everything works out perfectly, we get to the hostel which is wonderful, asked to be moved about so that we are all in the same room which works out really well because it also happened to be the BEST room on the roof with a rooftop terrasse. Our first day we just walked around and took in the sights of the city. That night we were all exhausted and went out for tapas (DELICIOUS) and came home to a wonderfully quiet room where we could sleep well. Woke up at 8h30 the next morning to go to the Alhambra which was also wonderful, very big, did not see all of it in one day. Took a lot of photos, which will be posted on facebook sooner rather than later. Our hostel was RIGHT by the street of Moroccan street vendors and Arabid tea houses, obviously I was in heaven, and so we went and walked around there a bit in the afternoon. Lauren went back to have a nap, I met a Moroccan man named Daia (No idea how it is spelt, but it sounds like that) and he was really nice and I bought a lovely summer dress from him. Katrina and I explored a bit more and finally settled at a tea house for some tea and shisha. A very nice afternoon, I think.

That evening there were other people in our room for 10, so there were seven of us now (the people from the night before had moved out). These new guys had had their wallets stolen the night before so they were not so keen on staying in the room they had been in. They were really nice, albeit a little immature. They all came from Vancouver. One of them was in the room with us much longer than the others because they were at the Alhambra and he was sick of it so he had come back early. He sat with us whilst we put on make up and gave us tips on which light was best. Ha. I went outside and he came after a bit and we had a very long conversation about my future which I finally had to stop and change the subject. His name is Simon. Lauren, Katrina, and I started drinking our Tinto de Verano (Red wine and Lemon Fanta, very popular in Andalucia) on the rooftop terrasse. Someone was continually running downstairs for things we'd forgotten (bottle opener, ice, glasses, etc.) Simon sat with us and we all chatted for a while. Soon we were joined by others and everything was fun until two kids who went to music school in California joined and were total buzzkills. So we very secretly went downstairs. Once downstairs we met lots of people, played Jenga with Simon's friends who had finally arrived, and wrote on the chalkboard wall. It was really fun. We sat ourselves at one of the tables on the downstairs terrasse, Lauren and I sang ABBA and Aretha and when we looked up we were SURROUNDED by people!!! Ha, okay, that's not REALLY the order of events. We sat down at this table, a few people drifted over to chat, Simon and his friends (do not remember their names) came over, more people came over... THEN Lauren and I were singing. Hahaha.

Later in the evening we went out with Simon &the Gang to a tapas bar called Bella y Bestia (Beauty and the Beast for those to lazy to translate) it was nice. We actually got a table. They played Michael Jackson. Ate great tapas. Then we decided to go somewhere else. Ended up going right next door to GRANADA 10! A nightclub that Ramón and Nuria (My Spanish parents) went to when they were dating in college. Kind of weird. It is a nightclub/movie theatre. Played awful music. Got in for free. Were given the most awful shots of all time. Danced like maniacs for a while on a relatively empty dancefloor. Left. Somehow ended up back at the hostel, in pajamas, teethbrushed, in bed. Success! Woke up cold the next morning. Blanket had fallen down to the bunk below me. Contemplating what to do, WHEN all of a sudden the most attractive of &the Gang popped up from his bed, my blanket in his hands, and proceeds to first put the blanket on my bed. Then when I reached for it, he continued and tucked me in very snuggly and nicely. It was very, very nice.

NEXT DAY: Entire room slept until just before 11h00, luckily Katrina woke us up so that we wouldn't miss breakfast! Had breakfast, came back to the room. Got ready. Talked to the boys once they'd woken up. Left for a nice walk about. Explored Granada some more. Took pictures. Ended up by some university without a map or a clue where we were and ended up finding our way back VERY well. Had disgusting shwarma for lunch, really the worst of the worst. Went back to the hostel, had a siesta, hung around the terrasse. Went to the grocery store for dinner supplies, as we were all starving when we woke up. Had dinner, got ready for the evening, drank our TdeV. Another large group of people, luckily Lauren and I were not singing this time. Spent most of the night there, then took a walk with a group of people. Lauren and I ditched early to eat chips on the terrasse under a blanket which smelled like sweat. Mmmm.

Next morning, trek back to Palma. HOWEVER, Lauren did not come with as she had been offered a job at the hostel!!!!!!

So, a wonderful weekend, a horrible few days of being sick since to even it out. THIS WEEKEND I AM NOT WORKING!!! WOO HOO! That is all I have for now! xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1012s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb