La Alhambra


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
August 30th 2005
Published: August 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

a doora doora door

An entrance to the Palace part of La Alhambra. The door was built so that if one was knocked down it would collapse over the other door and make it difficult for the enemies to get in.
We took a group trip to La Alhambra (Arabic- "red or crimson castle") on Sunday the 28th. La Alhambra takes up about 1/12th of the city. We had to hike up many cobble stoned streets to get there. It was originally built as a small fort on the top of La Sabica for the moors in the 9th Century and sultans/kings didn't start living there until the 13th. Muhammed Al-Ahmar was the first Sultan and then La Alhambra was taken over by the Christians in when the Catholic Monarchs- Ferdinand and Isabel- expelled the Muslims and conquered the city of Granada in 1492.

You can do more history research on your own if you want ...

Basically ... we took a 5 hour tour and walked somewhere between 7 and 8 kilometers. Monolo was our guide. It was really hot out. Beautiful. but hot. So if I look like I am about to faint in the photos- you know why ...

enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

PlazaPlaza
Plaza

I'm still learning the names of things ... just enjoy the view.
MountainsMountains
Mountains

A view of the mountains from just out side the walls in the previous photo
TourTour
Tour

Monolo- our guide- on the left. Ramzies, Ashley, Emma, Emily, and Steve
View 1View 1
View 1

View (1) from the highest point of La Alhambra. You are seeing Granada from afar ...
View 2View 2
View 2

View (2) from the highest point of La Alhambra. You are seeing Granada from afar ...
PalacePalace
Palace

Inside the palace. You are looking at the pond inside the recreation space. Up above is the place where the 4 mujeres of the Sultan lived.
FuenteFuente
Fuente

La Fuente de los leones
B over GranadaB over Granada
B over Granada

Bridget overlooking Granada. We are all standing over one of the many gardens. This place is huge ...
PalacioPalacio
Palacio

El palacio de Carlos V
PplPpl
Ppl

Jenny, me, B, and Amanda resting during a walk around a garden.
Palace 2Palace 2
Palace 2

A palace ... forgot the name. Really, I tried ...
Bath houseBath house
Bath house

A bathhouse. These were important to the moors for religious purposes. There were large heaters bult underneath. The people had to wear clogs otherwise they would burn their feet so they cleaned themselves with the steam. We can go to bathhouses here but they are costly.
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

A view of the Catholic Cathedral built in La Alhambra. I think I am on top of a tower in La Alhmbra while taking this photo
walkwalk
walk

A view of the very long and rocky walk down
CongressCongress
Congress

The congress building by my apartment


30th August 2005

Sounds like you're having a blast chica! I miss you so much (we all do). The world without Alex just isn't the same... When u get back u can serenade me in perfect spanish. love you!!! Marion
2nd September 2005

Wow!
These pictures are gorgeous....you must be having the time of your life. I'm so glad you went, even though I miss you. What an experience!

Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb