Birthday in Cadiz and yet another lazy Tuesday.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Conil de la Frontera
June 6th 2017
Published: June 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Graham's birthday and he suggested we go to Cadiz.....he has loved reading the Sharpe series and had a vision of the old town in his head. What a beautiful city! We drove through the modern section and straight to the old town, with wonderful statues and monuments. We had to drive a few miles along a peninsular, with a long sandy beach to our left, to reach Cadiz, which is surrounded by sea on three sides. There were cannons along the sea wall, gardens behind them, with the largest rubber trees I've ever seen, some very old pale coloured stone buildings, which definitely had a Moorish influence, but then we had lunch at a very nice seafront restaurant, overlooking the harbour full of small boats bobbing on the gentle sea and a few people swimming off a tiny beach, among the boats.

We had to find our way back to the car park by meandering through the narrow cobbled streets, keeping to the shade and coming across beautiful churches and plazas with fountains or statues. We both decided that, to date, Cadiz is our favourite place, as you have the history and beauty and to view it there is the most wonderful promenade along the old sea wall and the views out to sea and across the harbour and bay are delightful!!

Today, we've taken a rest day, only going to the beach Fuente del Gallo, our favourite, late afternoon for our swim and then an hour to enjoy watching the rollers coming in....although today was the calmest we've swum in and while there, people arrived to fish, one going into the sea to his waist and within 15 minutes, had caught a fish.

Hotter day forecast tomorrow and off to Gibraltar for the day, hoping to go up the rock........will report back!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb