SLOVENIA'S BEE MUSEUM-PART TWO


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
March 21st 2009
Published: March 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Excerpted from my book: Our Summer in Slovenia, Amazon.com

More on Slovenia's position in the world on bee keeping. Even today there are more than 10,000 beekeepers in Slovenia second only to Argentina, which of course is much larger and with a greater population. During the 19th century Slovenia exported entire colonies of bees to the United States to propagate its agricultural expansion across the great plains and on into California and Oregon. The sliding box hive was invented in Slovenia allowing the transport of hives from field to field and the easy removal of honeycombs. This development led to a unique Slovenian folk art the creation of elaborate hives as art pieces, two of which are shown here. A mid-19th century chinese man carving as the oriental influence was popular in Europe during that time and a more elaborate hive in the form of a church circa 1880.

It was at the market in Bled that I was introduced Medeno which is a delicious honey liqueur of about 25% alcohol. Elysee made the pun that we could get a "buzz on."




Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

BEE HIVE-CHINESE MANBEE HIVE-CHINESE MAN
BEE HIVE-CHINESE MAN

Mid-19th century as China influenced European design.


2nd October 2009

Bee Hive -Chinese Man
What a Great bee hive. Thank you for sharing the musuem with us.

Tot: 0.384s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb