The Love Ninja


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
May 11th 2008
Published: May 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post


So.. in case youre frightened right now - here they spell the name of the country Slovenija... a particular souvenir was written with the S somewhat obscured, leading Simon to belive it actually said "Love Ninja". Im not sure it acurately describes the country, but I like it!

To get on with the story, this country is BEAUTIFUL!! Very very story book, fairytale castles, mountains, rivers, gorgeous little villages, and crazy motorways! The centre of Ljubljana is gorgeous - a river lined with beautiful old buildings, bars, cafes, restaurants and ice-cream stands, so as you can imagine, it has been very tough.

Weve had a few days here, so it has been nice to take a breath after racing around. Yesterday we (well, Simon) hired a car and we headed out to see some phenomenal caves. They are so huge they put you on a train to see the first 4 or 5 km of it!! Then you hike another 1 or 2 km through huge rooms and a concert hall, all 60m underground! We were accompanied by 45 Italian school children who seeemed to think it was a ghost train (and screamed accordingly at every corner). The caves themselves defy description, so hopefully at least one or two photos worked. We then wound our way through the countryside (by which I mean alternated between doing 130km/h in the smallest car in the world and weaving through tiny village streets hardly wide enough for one car, let alone us and an oncoming bus.) and found our way to a wine cellar in a castle (after having been misled about other wineries by the damn guidebook). No complaints though - a couple of hours of guided sampling of Slovenian white wines along with Karst region Proscuitto and cheeses.

I think the rest of our time here is best told in pictures or over a wine when were back, so Ill leave it there. We are currently filling time as we will be catching a 2am (yes, 2am) train to Venice tonight. After that were off to geneva where I am back to work and Simon will be enjoying the Swiss or French Alps and from where we will be coming home. Catch you all soon.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Castle near Postajna CavesCastle near Postajna Caves
Castle near Postajna Caves

Built into the cliff


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb