Slovenian Sunset


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
December 8th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The temptation of breakfast was great enough that I actually got up for it despite feeling seriously sleep deprived. We didn't really have plans for the day, so when breakfast was finished we returned to our room after putting on a wash. We both slept for a while however it was Rob who had to drag me out of bed to ensure that we actually did something in the day.

When we both were ready we walked over to the other side of the water and found ourselves caught up in a mass of tourists perusing the markets. We had a quick look around but unsurprisingly the stalls hadn't changed since we had previously looked around. We found the funicular but we decided against it; partly because you had to pay and partly because we had read an article that said it was only for fuddyduddies. Once we found the path up we found it empty from tourists and locals alike.

Once at the castle we quickly discovered that it is much nicer to look at from a distance. Entrance was free to everything other than a watch tower. We struggled to waste much time up there and spent
Funicular To The CastleFunicular To The CastleFunicular To The Castle

Apparently only for old people
very little time in most of the sections apart from the one place you can go up onto the walls. It was approximately four and the sun was really low in the sky which cast reddish light over the city.

We took an alternative route down from the castle and at the bottom we wandered into a part of Old town that we had never been in before. The old streets were lit with Christmas Lights and Christmas trees which created a lovely atmosphere. We were completely in amidst tourists but it wasn't terrible. We stumbled across a little courtyard that had a beautiful tree at the end and after walking in we realised that it was a small photo exhibition. We had a walk around and appreciated the courtyard as much as the photos.

We just wanted a cheap and cheerful meal and couldn't really be bothered trawling through internet sights to find anywhere, so we just ambled around the streets until we found somehwere. The place we found wasn't particularly great and really was not the type of food that we fancied. Rob ordered a spinach canneloni and I ordered the vegetarian plate. Rob's canneloni was deep fried and came with a huge portion of chips and mine was two onion grills that were deep fried and another large portion of chips. We left the meal feeling dissatisfied but on the positive side of things it was a cheap meal.

At the hostel we sat around in the common room for a while and rewatched a little bit of the movie Transformers. We didn't mind in the slightest that the common room closed at ten because we are both completely ready for bed and well aware that we have another very early begining tomorrow.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Ljubljana Ljubljana
Ljubljana

Not quite at the top yet


Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 28; qc: 129; dbt: 0.1255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb