Bound for Slovenia: Three Countries in One Day


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
July 7th 2011
Published: July 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we left Austria, re-entered Italy and then crossed into Slovenia. All this was achieved in less than an hour because of our starting position near where Austria borders both Italy and Slovenia.
There was very little difference we could spot as we entered Slovenia, except for the language on road signs and the drop in the amount of traffic on the road. We were surrounded by mown green fields, attractive houses with neat gardens and always the mountains nearby. The mountain scenery continued as we followed the road to Lake Bled, a place we had intended to visit tomorrow, but with time on our side and great weather again, we made a stop there today. This beautiful little lake is nestled among the mountains and in the lake is a small island. On the island is a church with steps running down to the water. We walked around the lake on the easy well-shaded path, taking photos as we went and arrived back at our starting point around two hours later. Many people were sunning themselves at the water’s edge, swimming, walking or biking on this very warm sunny day. Tomorrow we may return and take a boat ride out to the island, where we can climb the steps and see the little church.
It was time to leave scenic Lake Bled and drive just a few kilometres to Radovljica and our hotel. This is the point at which we often turn on the GPS if we cannot easily locate the hotel ourselves. On went the GPS and we soon realised “she” was as lost as we were. It seems the maps for Slovenia are not loaded into the system, so we may be on our own for the next three days. We don’t have the necessary cable etc to be able to download more maps onto the hired GPS. Despite this problem we were lucky enough to spot a small street sign pointing the way to our very pleasant accommodation. It has everything we could need for two nights including a small fridge for the necessary end of day cold beer.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb