Snakes and Ladders - The Slovak Paradise


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Slovensky Raj is called the Slovak Paradise by the locals. It certainly was to us one of the pritiest national parks we´ve hiked in. We found a lovely campsite with views of the snowcapped Tatras and a fun atmosphere as most of Poland seemed to be there on holidays (with a good few bottles of vodka around the place). In fact this is the first campsite we´ve hit in E. Europe thats been fully opened and had people other than ourselves in it.



When we entered Slovakia we expected it to be less western than the Czech Rep, but in fact it seems more western, more expensive and people appear to be more well off. Seen some flash supermarkets and cars(spotted 3 hummers in the last 2 weeks). This maybe because we are in more touristic areas in Slovakia and in the Czech Rep we were mostly well off the beaten track.

That said, we have also passed a few towns that look run down with 20 year old Ladas and Skodas. These towns seem to be mostly populated by the Romani people. We read in the guide book that there is some racism from the
Long hikes...Long hikes...Long hikes...

Achy muscles. By now we had spent 5 out of the last 6 days hiking between 5 to 8 hours a day!!
Slovaks (and the Czechs) towards the Romani. Shilpa is reading a novel at the moment that also talks about this. We´ve not observed any racism but there probably is a degree of discrimination as they generally seem to be poor and I imagine find it difficult to get jobs.

They can be quite dark skinned and a few of the Romani kids have come up and started chatting away to Shilpa, and her not understanding a word they´re saying. They seem to be quite confused as to what kind of Gypsy she is!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hiking aidsHiking aids
Hiking aids

These were some of the hiking 'aids' that were in place in order to climb up waterfalls and gorges. Some were a bit scary, some a bit rusty, and some about to fall out of the wall!!, But all great fun.
laddersladders
ladders

These were some of the ladders we climbed to scale the waterfalls.
Rusty platform...Rusty platform...
Rusty platform...

the rust added to the suspension of walking over these.
View from the campsiteView from the campsite
View from the campsite

Waking up to this view every morning was pretty cool! These are the Tatra's accross the valley from slovensky raj.
The breach of HornadThe breach of Hornad
The breach of Hornad

that was the name of the river we could have fallen into!
viperviper
viper

We saw a lizard, a snake and a deer on this hike. We later found out this was a type of viper and can be quite dangerous!
Camp FireCamp Fire
Camp Fire

As we'd ran out of Gas we put some spuds in the fire, day 1: i think we ate more charcoal than spud. Day 2, put loads of foil on the spuds and they were yum!!
MTBMTB
MTB

Got up at 7am and did a 12k mtb trail in slovensky raj... Excellent. Arrived back to the van at 8.30 to find shilpa just getting out of bed!
4wd paying its dues...4wd paying its dues...
4wd paying its dues...

Got us up this hill where we were able to wild camp in the middle of the forrest.


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb