Levoca - Castles, movies and gorges, oh my!


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Presov Region » Levoca
September 21st 2005
Published: October 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

There's not much to do in the old walled town of Levoca, but it's a great launching point for nearby Spissky Hrad (Spis Castle) and Slovensky Raj (Slovak Paradise) National Park. When you first see Spissky Hrad, it shocks you - it just dominates the landscape. I hope the pics do it justice, but I doubt they do. A movie called Last Legion is being filmed there, posing the castle as part of Hadrian's wall. The two Kiwi girls I met on the bus (both named Sarah) and I ran into some of the actors, English and Welsh guys, at one of the three bars in town. Nobody too famous, but good bunch of guys. Visiting the castle the next day, the set was amazing - it looked like we were in a Roman village, you can see in the pics there is even an entire section of wall they built - we didn't realize it was fake until Sarah knocked on the stone.

Slovensky Raj lives up to it's name, filled with stunning rivers, gorges, dodgy bridges and paths bolted in straight into the rocks. See the pics to see what I mean.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the best thing about Levoca was the haircut I got, at a nice salon, for $1.30!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Movie set - fake wall and gateMovie set - fake wall and gate
Movie set - fake wall and gate

It wasn't until we were leaving the castle we realized this entire wall was fake - you can see in the corner where it joins the real wall


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb