Don't fix what isn't Baroque


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava
September 16th 2005
Published: January 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

My first real expedition from Vienna - Bratislava, capital of Slovakia, about an hour bus ride away. The sky was threatening rain on departure and making good on it's promise on arrival. I went with Inga, my Latvian friend, and we in turn met Jana, a friend of Inga's who is from Bratislava. She ushered us into a cafe where we could start the morning off with a much-needed cappucino (and the happy surprise that prices are about 1/5 that of those in Vienna). A satellite of the Soviet Union until 1989, there is still a strong communist feel - blocky buildings, statues of Lenin-esque proportions and "soldiers of the people." The day we arrived was actually a public holiday, so in the morning the streets were pretty deserted. As people came out, though, and the drizzle eased up, the city atmosphere lightened. Jana was a superb tour guide. I loved the refreshing change in architecture (the baroque cherubs and neoclassical columns of Vienna get pretty routine) and the highlight for me was climbing up to Bratislava Castle. From the hill upon which it is situated you can see the old city, the "new bridge" - very modern - spanning the Danube, the area of the former "iron curtain"on the other side of the Danube, and the castle itself is a forboding reminder of history and former powers.
Another surprise in Bratislava was the cow parade. The cow parade is a herd of life-sized cow sculptures. It has travelled from city to city and happened to be in Bratislava when I was there. They are pretty cool, ranging from whimsical to punk, designed by artists, companies and school children.
The only downer of my trip to Bratislava was a stolen wallet... which, though unfortunate, could happen anywhere. It was quite an experience, though - I got an inside view of Slovakia's law enforcement system - and I have to say, I much prefer ours.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Crazy Hair DayCrazy Hair Day
Crazy Hair Day

i relate way too well to this communist-era statue
Upsidedown CowUpsidedown Cow
Upsidedown Cow

I simply cannot resist these photo-ops


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb