Devin Castle - Bratislava


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava
December 16th 2008
Published: December 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Devin Castle along with the confluence of the Danube and Morava rivers tells the story of separation, mingle, ancient history, empires, wars, borders, bullets and hills.

Some history of Devin - Devin was a royal castle and served as a boundary fortress in the period of the Hungarian Empire. It is situated on the hill-lock above the confluence of the Danube and Morava rivers. Site was continually settled from the New Stone Age till the 19th Century.
The second half of the the 9th Century is closely connected with the name of the Prince Rastislav who had a huge fortess built there. The beginnings of the medieval castle date from the 13th century when a small border fortress was built on the top of the rocky cliff. The greatest building activity was recorded in the Gothic style.
In 1809 the castle was blown up by Nepoleon's soldiers. Now castle is under City Museum in Bratislava and carrying out archaeological research since 1965.

Well, It's was a pleasure to be on VIP service and see the place like Devin on the beautiful Sunday Morning. We started around 11:00 am in taxi from Bratislava castle and took our ride on the marvelous roads of Slovakia. Crossing the Volkswagen factory and villages we reached to Devin. In front of the castle you find the "Devin Mare Hills" and eye catching scenario when the mist kisses the tip of the hill. Down in the valley is the settlement of Devin village.
Devin is a windy place but the scenario around it doesn't make you down. We started our stroll from the back of the castle. Danube which flows from Austria and Morava which flows from Czech confluence here. So, the side we were standing was Slovakia, infront was Austria and on Right was Czech. Heard that the people who went to Austria during WB2 never able to come back as the border was covered with electric wires.
Entry ticket to Devin costs 40skk or 1.33 Euro. On rise to Devin, gave a feeling of entering in the era of 9th century or way back to stone age. The building walls are become like mud wall. The new building of Castle still shows it's charm. The inside premises is well maintained by City Museum but wasted the beauty by putting drinking water place. From the top of building you can have a good view of river confluence. One part of Castle is still under construction and under restricted area.

The nature is at its best in Devin. One side you finds the trees without leaves due to winter, other side the pleasurable mountain having the village as its baby and the other side shows how the borders gets separated because of rivers and rivers flows without any boundaries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



22nd December 2008

Niiice dude!!!!!!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb