Castles Are All Uphill: I’m Done.


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava » Old Town
April 4th 2018
Published: April 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today I struck up a conversation with 3 young Germans from Berlin. Just 18 years old and recent high school graduates, 2 of these men have opted out of normal society for 10 months, determined to find their place in this world. Their trip is called Lost In The World and can be followed online. Their other option was backpacking in Australia but they concluded “everybody does that.” Their goal is to ride to Tokyo, heading towards Vietnam before turning left into China and onward to Japan.

Think of what you were doing at 18; i challenge you to match this. In 2016 I met two 25 year old Koreans in Spain, who had ridden 20000 kms from Seoul , and like the Germans, carried 40 kilograms on each bike. They said their experiences and adventures had changed their outlook forever; what a Gap year.

By the way, I told them I thought that the bikes over backpacks choice was probably a good choice.

We visited Bratislava Castle today which is a steady climb to a high point overlooking the Danube. Dating back to the 13th Century, it has undergone many changes including a full, and continuing, restoration in recent years. We paid for a self guided tour and visited four levels of art and history dating back to the bronze ages. Tim and I climbed ( and it was CLIMBED ), the 88 ladder-like steps in the highest tower to be rewarded with panoramic views over the whole region. It would have been imppossible to sneak up and launch an arrack on this fortress; you’d have to scale the walls first. After our tour we had coffee in the old stables and headed downtown to the old district for lunch.

The afternoon involved St Michael’s Gate, St Martins Cathedral and various overpriced tourist shops, before going home for a bit of R and R.

There wasn’t much energy left for the evening but we did manage a Bridge to Bridge walk after a traditional dinner of spicy sausage and vegetable soup followed by dumplings in goats cheese and bacon sauce.. Finishing up with an ice cream cone, I probably should have walked to Budapest. The walking path along the Danube offers softly lit views of the town and castle from every aspect. Signs of mole burrows and the constant twitter of birds and owls become
louder as the night falls and groups of girls jogging is the only life we see. There are 3 main bridges in Bratislava and all are very uniquely interesting, vibrate heavily when the trams pass, but are easily crossed, with pedestrians well separated from the traffic.

The day finished for me by catching up with news, a bit of reading, and bed at 11pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement


The View Over Bratislava From The Castle TowerThe View Over Bratislava From The Castle Tower
The View Over Bratislava From The Castle Tower

The steepest 88 steps I’ve ever climbed. It was like a ladder and if you put your hand in front of you, you touched the ones above.
Backstreet In The Old Town.....Backstreet In The Old Town.....
Backstreet In The Old Town.....

.....with St Martin Of Tours to the right.
2 Germans, 2 Bikes, 17000 Kilometres, 10 Months2 Germans, 2 Bikes, 17000 Kilometres, 10 Months
2 Germans, 2 Bikes, 17000 Kilometres, 10 Months

I was talking to these 18year olds who have just finished school and have signed on for the University of Life. What an experience.
An Inner Courtyard In The Old TownAn Inner Courtyard In The Old Town
An Inner Courtyard In The Old Town

I could imagine a big gypsy party in a spot like this with fires in drums, Romanic music and plenty of joyful dancing. Unfortunately it’s a steakhouse and a bakery.
The UFO The UFO
The UFO

This tourist attraction is also a support for the bridge it’s at the end of. €10 to see the view is not worth it.
Easter Display In The Square Easter Display In The Square
Easter Display In The Square

Brilliantly hand painted egg with four different scenes depicted around it.
The EggThe Egg
The Egg

Or as our neighbors across the Tasman would say, The Igg.
Dinner At Zylinder Cafe And Restaurant Dinner At Zylinder Cafe And Restaurant
Dinner At Zylinder Cafe And Restaurant

Authentic Slovakian food and the most relaxing part of the day. We hadn’t figured on doing a long Bridge to Bridge walk as an after dinner stroll but the view was breathtaking.
Part Of Our Bridge Circuit Part Of Our Bridge Circuit
Part Of Our Bridge Circuit

It looks pretty cool at night.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb