Trans-Siberian Part 4 - Ulaanbaatar to Beijing


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia
September 28th 2006
Published: November 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well our time ran out in Mongolia and our guides dropped us at the train station in Ulaanbaatar at 7am. Turns out we were sharing with Sarah and Greg which was great. James and Alex were just next door and sharing with some backpacking nutters in army fatigues who carried torches and knives with them at all times.

The train was slow and it took a long time to reach the Mongolian border with China. Those formalities out of the way, we rolled into the Chinese border check around midnight. The Chinese border station was by far the most stylish border station we have past through so far. They even play a Venetian Waltz on the platform as you arrive. After the vigiorous check of our carriage and visas the train moves into a shed where its elevated and they change the train bogeys for Chinese guage lines. For those of you not so informed on trains thats the trains under-carriage or wheels. After we were lowered down we were back on our way.

A few hours before Beijing the train passes through part of the Great Wall and we were allowed to get off and get some snaps (See Below). The scenery was really pretty the whole way into Beijing save a few large industrial complexes puffing out smoke. And ends the final leg of our Trans-Mongolian journey from Moscow to Beijing.

Next Stop Beijing.......



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Waiting For The Bogeys To Be ChangedWaiting For The Bogeys To Be Changed
Waiting For The Bogeys To Be Changed

Train is about 20feet up in the air!
Train And Great WallTrain And Great Wall
Train And Great Wall

The train stopped to let people take photos.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb