Russian Cruise cont.....Goritsy


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia
July 1st 2018
Published: July 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We stopped to visit the medieval town of Goritsy and were taken by local bus to the Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery . It was a grey and drizzly day which turned into rain. It was also cold. The monastery was founded by St Cyril in 1397 and his grave is under the foundations of the Cathedral of the Assumption. The choice of site proved important as it was located just within the Grand Duchy of Moscow whose ruler saw it as a defensive stronghold and trading post. It was always able to attract the rich and famous and at one time there were 20000 serfs during the 17th century. At one time its cells were reserved for political exiles ie it was a prison of the Tsars. During the Soviet period it was turned into a labour camp.

The tour started at the Kazan Gate topped by the Archangel Gabriel.The monastery has been a museum since 1924 but the priory has a small community of active monks. The museum in the abbots house has a collection of icons, manuscripts and carvings. There are also a number of rooms with traditional crafts such as linen and lace making. We were also treated to the singing of local men as we have become accustomed to when visiting Russian churches and museums. They all sound great and have CDs for sale.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb