Volga Region


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Volga
June 29th 2009
Published: June 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Moscow - Volgograd 21hours... Train journey seem to be a lot of fun thought the heat at day reaching 36 to 38c can be a little overwhelming. People are friendly and gladly share they portions between one another. Speaking no russian makes it only that much more fun and entertaining... it is really travelling with the odrinary average russian across trully amazing time speared regions.

Volgograd (ex-Stalingrad)
Imagine a city new of the 60's with virtually nothing old. The Stalinist environment and structure of the town makes it a strange sight. Its is not as ugly as one could imagine as evidently a lot of effort has be put into reforming this emblem of Russian power and them winning that battle. the avenues are broad and the town is spread on 70 km which is difficult to imagine on a cit of merely 1.1 million inhabitants.

The main sight of Volgograd is without a doubt the 84meter tall cement statue of mother Russia. Tremendously impressive yielding a sword of nearly 15 meters... Evidently there was a huge pride about winning this bloodiest of battles. They also set up a huge structure to commemorate the fallen (particularly the soviet but also Nazi). It is impossible to imagine the atrocity that this place has endured.Towards the statue is a comemorative wall with speakers sounding the cries of soldiers and whistling of bullets. I also attended a commorative ceremony for Germany as a economic forum was being held in town and it belongs to the honours of official visits.

Besides the modern Volgograd is a normal city, they have an usually modern metro service for this truly single lined city. They have put a lot of effort recently in rendering this city more attractive and welcoming to visitors. There is still little to offer for tourists on a short budget and certainly it is not a town accustomed to foreigners. The war museum is very impressive and features a verity of soviet and nazi weaponry and detail. They also house the famous sniper from the american movie of the stanlingraded sniper duel. The Atomic generator like stucture offers a 360o panorama of what a sight would have been like in the war giving a small insight of the terror of that time. Unsurprisingly on all fresques never is a Soviet wounded or dying.

I took a nice walk around a nearby peninsula with beautiful vegetation thought the littering is huge spoiling a little this wonderful area.

Volgograd - Astraklhan the trip was trather quitet thought the abelute stillness and completely flat and completely desertic and sandy sceenery is hard to describe. Arrviing at 6am is a funny sensation thought as I was invited for lunch to local's home I wetn there and we went shopping in the market. Tremedous market,. A maze of little streets and stands all seeling food and groceries at small prices. it is very much like other asia markets with primarily asian dealears. Meat is uncomonly cheap witbh 4kg barely at 30chf.

Astrakhan

Is a town supposebly known for its Beluga Caviar. As they are very endangered it is not available and more of a mith. The town is odd and stunning. It has a huge varietly of architechtural designs from colonial houses to stalin buildings to Kazhak wodden houses. In the town center is a stunning Kremlin (fortress) with a stunning cathedral. Due to the nearly desertic and none rain there is little structure for roofs but it adds to the charm. I listened to some traditional music being played (with fun instruments) and one can enjoy some crazy looking little berries and fruits. The along volga promenade has recently been renovated and deffenetely enhances the image of the city thought most of it is either high rise community building or expanse areas of marvelous trditional heavily ornate wodden houses with dusty streets and very green and natural back yards.

some ferry rides can be taken on the volga and walking in town is a delight when not at miday due to the heat. One can also enjoy some amazing bbq's arround for very moderate prices thought its not always easy to understand the people. Bying the ticket at the train station took over 30 minutes just to comunicate five simple requirements.,. All part of the fun and adventure....

Again this is little of a town equiped for tourists thought its pottential is huge. The richness of this region is undescribable but only really accessible by car. People are friendly and the huge veriey of people arround here makes it a very culturally interesting and diverse place.

Next stop Aktau: Khazakstan....


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb