2008: A Trans-Siberian Odyssey


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Urals » Yekaterinburg
June 5th 2008
Published: June 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Part 3: Walking in a winter wonderland. Pre-blog: Welcome, dear reader, to another belated installment in our travel blog. In this post we are trialling a slightly different format. We will start with our usual eloquent prose, razor sharp wit and high brow humor, but this time, when we post photographs of events or places we have visited we will only briefly mention those events and places in the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Angel of peaceAngel of peace
Angel of peace

Or something like that!
More rocks, snow and treesMore rocks, snow and trees
More rocks, snow and trees

This one had a really cool orange mossy stuff though!
Kerry & the guide...Kerry & the guide...
Kerry & the guide...

leaving Lee way behind (amongst the trees & snow)
Poor little treePoor little tree
Poor little tree

struggling with it's heavy burden of snow.
Water!Water!
Water!

Trees, snow and water!
Crossing the rope bridgeCrossing the rope bridge
Crossing the rope bridge

Old Russian rope bridges don't worry us... until we're told we could only cross one person at a time...
Bunny tracks!!!Bunny tracks!!!
Bunny tracks!!!

Trees, snow and bunny tracks! But no bunnies :(
Broken tree...Broken tree...
Broken tree...

and snow... and not broken trees. Still no bunnies.
Icicles!Icicles!
Icicles!

We don't see much of these in Oz.
RivuletRivulet
Rivulet

A very sweet little rivulet of water flowing down under a rock and then frozen in time forever. Or until it melts.
Grot.Grot.
Grot.

As a part of this hike we visited an "ice cave" - a cave that was supposed to be covered in ice crystals inside. Being late winter and the cave being not much of a cave the ice crystals were already gone so it was more like a grubby hole. Then we visited this. The guide called it a 'grot'- it was kind of like a small gorge about 50m deep...
Half way downHalf way down
Half way down

This is looking into the other side of the gorge from about half way down. Hard to get the scale of it here - the area of shadow above the rock in the middle is a cave that we could walk around in!
Cave in the gorge...Cave in the gorge...
Cave in the gorge...

with trees... and snow.
Inside the caveInside the cave
Inside the cave

Hey... We got our ice crystals after all! In fact pretty much the entire area of the walls of this gorge were covered in them making all the rock look white.
More ice crystalsMore ice crystals
More ice crystals

Still no bunnies.



8th June 2008

Urals guys, Urals
Like the format and the piccies are great. But then again I like snow...and trees...and...snow......anyway it's good! An especially nice shot Lee, so to speak, of your piss-hole; but it's Urals, mate, Urals. Hope all's triffic where you are; things continue to be good here. Think of you every day. Love to ya both. An email is imminent.
21st June 2008

Part-3
Hi Kerry and Lee, So great to see another update from you two again. It looks like the trips is so much fun. Looks too cold for me though...LOL. Your camera skills are getting much better - the photos are great...All the places you've been where are all the other people ? Look forward to the next chapter. Take care and travel safe. Quyen.
27th June 2008

Love the piss hole in the snow!!! You are a class act Lee Jones. It was great to chat to you the other day. I hope that treading trodden trails is working out for you. We got your Paris postcard last week. It's on the cork board of honour. I have booked in Scarlett's 1st birthday for the 31st of August at Carisbrooke reserve. Lock it in! Well my eyes are like the proverbials so I am going to say au revoir and go to bed...yes at 7.42pm on a Friday night - times they are well and truly a changing! Stay safe guys. Mwah!!!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb