Transiberian Railway - Russia


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Siberia
July 15th 2008
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

St PetersburgSt PetersburgSt Petersburg

First Day in Russia
At 2 am we arrive at the Russian border. The border control takes approximate 2-3 hours, I am not sure since I was falling asleep several times between the different inspections.
In the morning we arrive in St Petersburg, took the metro to Nevsky Prospekt in the hearth of STP. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day, but we had to spend the entire day trying to find a hostel, not easy they were all full. It was because of the celebration of midsummer (white nights) where grandparents sending their grandkids to STP.
The first night we had dinner with vodka, and I can tell you it was not the last.

The second day we had to try and find a new place to sleep, so we had to use half a day to find new accommodation. Rest of the day we walk around in the city (in the rain) taking pictures.
3. day in STP we meet our new friends we are going to spend time with for the next 18 days. We were a group of 16 people from Norway, Australia, USA, UK, Scotland and Germany.

The day after, at 2315 we took the
St PetersburgSt PetersburgSt Petersburg

First evening in Russia, dinner and vodka
train to Moscow. (3.class) Børre and Marianne share their cabin with some thirsty Russians, so they did not get many hours of sleep. (haha)
After checking in to the hostel, we went to see the red square and Kreml. In the evening, Børre and I manage to be stopped by the Militia for drinking in public - something our tour guide said we could do. It is common that the Militia does this to tourist to get some rubles from them, we didn’t give them anything and after 30 min we could finally go.

Then on my 13 day of travel we went on the 4 night journey to Irkutsk. Not much to see, only trees and forest. No tundra!!!!!
So we played a lot of cards and drank vodka.

Day 17 we arrived in Irkutsk, a dusty town with a Lenin statue and vehicles with steering wheel on both right and left side! But it was good with a shower after all those day on the train.
One night in Irkutsk and then Lake Baikal, after 5 hours maniac driving we arrive to the ferry that brings us to Olkhon. The village Khuzhir on Olkhon was very nice place to stay. First thing I did was to jump in the lake. Brrrr freezing cold water, but refreshing. We were here on the 4.july so the Americans arrange some hot dogs in the evening, but after we had the Banja (hot Sauna). It was only outdoor toilet and no showers there, but the stay at Lake Baikal was really one of the highlight on this trip so far.

After 2 days in Khuzhir, more maniac driving back to Irkutsk for catch the train to Ulan Ude. The town with the gigantic Lenin head. We spent one night in private accommodation in Ulan Ude; the city was not so were exciting. Except from Lenin head there was a Buddhist monastery we went to see, the Ivalginsky Datsan. Ulan Ude is center of Buddhism I Russia. (a rip off if you ask me)

Get ready for Mongolia next!



Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

St PetersburgSt Petersburg
St Petersburg

Washing time
MoskovMoskov
Moskov

KGB HK
MoskovMoskov
Moskov

Gard at the Kreml
MoskovMoskov
Moskov

Tourist from Japan in the Kreml


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb