Siberian Winter in Novosibirsk (Orphanage)


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Siberia » Novosibirsk
November 25th 2009
Published: August 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Photo 11Photo 11Photo 11

-30C today!!!!
I didn’t know what to expect when I decided to go to Novosibirsk in Russia. All that I had was all the research information that I’ve got before the trip: tourist attacks, robbers, and thieves. All I had in mind was to be careful about strangers who tried to come close to us. Yet, little of it reflects what I have experienced in the 6 weeks trip in Novosibirsk! The city is not as dangerous as people have said!

Our first job was to visit an orphanage in a rural area. It took us almost 2 hours by train and bus to go there. After the long bus journey, we had to walk for about 15 minutes in the Siberian coldness, on the slippery and icy ground, before we arrived at the orphanage. The 15-minute walk was not a short and easy one for me. I almost fell down for a few times and was almost hit by a car.

Yet, once we arrived at the orphanage, we have forgotten our long bus trip and the 15-minute-slippery-walk. We were overwhelmed by the staff working with the orphanage. The two staff who welcomed us at the reception was an old couple. They were the one who set up the orphanage. They welcomed us with traditional Russian desserts and cakes, as well as cups of hot tea. They treated us as if we were their children. They totally changed my perception on Russians. Russians, at least those in Novosibirsk, were very friendly and helpful. It felt like home to be in the orphanage.

After a short conversation and tea break, we started to learn about how to dance with our hands. We dressed up as different characters in the fairy tale. We were going to perform for a group of children and elderly before Christmas time! This was our first practice and we were going to visit this orphanage a few more times before the performance. Yay! It was going to be exciting!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

We learnt how to use our hands to dance
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

We all dressed up :)
Photo 2Photo 2
Photo 2

My Santa Claus Friend
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

Metro station


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb