On board the trans-siberian!


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Siberia » Irkutsk
October 12th 2008
Published: October 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

When booking the trip we signed up for the "Russian Experience"....and we got so much more than that!!! :D

We boarded the train in a freezing cold Moscow at 11pm at night. Ploughing along the platform with our light as a feather rucksacks....we bumped into 2 entertaining New Zealanders....Chris & Casey! Who we would get to know much better as they were a few cabins down from us on the train for the next 4 nights!

We were kinda nervous who the other 2 people we would be sharing our cabin with....and lucky enough we only had to share with one. A lovely large Russian lady called Lydia.....and man did she know how to snore!!!!

The "restaurant" car was the hub of the enterainment on the train. The food was quite ridiculous on it....a menu with about 40 different things on it.....which they would let you spend an hour looking at. Then when it came to ordering...nothing would be available apart from fried eggs!!! Which were ALWAYS served half raw!!! YUCK!! You just had to laugh it was that bad!

Luckily we all stacked up on kindof pot noodle things which werent bad!

But it was in the restaurant car that we met the funniest Russian peopl (which are a rare thing!!). Micha (big cuddly russian bear), Eugene (Russian who when speaking in English spoke like he was from Texas!), Svitlana (lovely Russian girl who was trying to get away from other pervy russian guys...and who gave us loads of advice), Dimitri...the grumpy barman on the restaurant car who came to hate us all by the time we got off cause he had to ask us to leave every night when the drink was going down well. These are some of the dozen or so characters we now laugh about!






Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Mick with "Russian Mafia"Mick with "Russian Mafia"
Mick with "Russian Mafia"

When we asked anyone his name...they all said "Russian Mafia"


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb