St. Petersburg


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
June 5th 2006
Published: July 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

111

Smolny Cathedral and Nunnery. Catherine the Great really liked blue. This is the actual shade of blue.
Hello everyone,

St. Petersburg is fabulous. The Hermitage Museum is the biggest tourist attraction. It was built in 1764 and was originally used as the winter palace. Catherine the Great lived there alone in the original 330 rooms. Although she didn't lack "company" she referred to her solitary existence as living like a hermit, hence the term Hermitage. Different Czars added on to the winter palace until it reached 1,100 rooms. If you visited each of the three million exhibits, you would walk 24 kilometres! The ballrooms could accommodate 5,000 dancing couples. We would later see the tack for Catherine's horse that was decorated with 1,000 diamonds. The cover on a family bible was encrusted with 3,000 diamonds. No wonder the citizens got cranky.

We also visited Peterhof, the summer palace of Peter the Great. He was more than 6'6" tall, but suffered from agoraphobia so the ceilings in his castles were low.

During WWII, St. Petersburg withstood 900 days of bombing. The Hermitage was not damaged because the Germans thought the city would fall easily and they wanted the goodies that were stored in the Hermitage.

We learned that during the 900 winter of 1941-42 German
222

Emblem Hall at Hermitage. Room of gold columns. 20 km. of gold leaf used.
forces blocked supply lines thinking that the citizens of St. Petersburg would have to surrender. They never gave up. One in three died from starvation, disease and cold.

During one of the tours, one of the passengers asked the tour guide how she could talk about these people--"weren't they really awful?" She replied, "we Russians love our buildings and our history. It doesn't mean that we admire the people who built the buildings."


Bye for now,
äîííà



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

33
3

The grand staircase at Hermitage. Made of white marble.
44
4

The throne room at Hermitage.
55
5

Amazing chandellier and ceiling in ballroom at Hermitage.
77
7

The original palace was also filled with marble statues, urns, etc. This wasn't the biggest!
88
8

Outside of the Hermitage--one small part of it.
99
9

In 1985 a nut walked into the Hermitage with a water bottle that held acid. He threw it at this Rembrandt and destroyed 70%. It took 17 years to restore.
1010
10

The square in front of Hermitage.
1111
11

Peterhof was summer palace of Peter the Great--one hour out of St. Petersburg. These are the grounds.
1212
12

These fountains are run completely by gravity--no pumps.
1313
13

There are 170 fountains and 50 statues--most covered in gold leaf. Many damaged during WWII--still being restored.


8th July 2006

This is Waterfront Festival Weekend
The photos are great and your not looking too bad yourself travelling lady. Selma
9th July 2006

love these pictures,
thanks for including so many pictures with your excellent commentary. darren and i are travelling through your eyes. how kewl is that!

Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb