Peterhof - 5-April-2011


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
August 22nd 2011
Published: August 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Saint Petersburg-Kronsdat


During my visit to Saint Peterburg, i went to one of the Suburban Collars around the city, named Peterhof, This place was the favorite residence for Peter I (The Great), that's why this is called Peterhof!

Peterhof its a great building complex and parks from XVIII-XIX centuries, adorned by more than 100 sculptures around the gardens, with a surface bigger than a thousand hectares, there are more than thirty buildings.

Peter I used to travel a lot to Kronstadt. The trip by the sea was very dangerous and uncomfortable, Catalina I, who was always with her husband, convinced him (that's what the legend say) to build a comfortable house, on the side of the gulf (Baltic sea), The idea made Peter I excited, who decided to build a very extravagant residence. He showed himself the place of the building, and wrote the plans for the parks, and the buildings distribution, including the fountains.

The difference with Versailles, where were build expensive instruments in order to elevate the water, is that Peter I decided to make the water move, by the power of gravity, with the help of a canal from Ropsha heights, and finishes in the Gulf of Finland, where the lower park takes part, integrated with buildings, the Big Waterfall, two smaller waterfalls and lots of fountains. The center of this great complex is the Big Waterfall.

The main sculpture around this fountains, is the Samson, made because of the 25Th anniversary of a very important victory for Russia, when the Russian army defeated Charles XII.

The center of all Petethof, is the Big Palace. The biggest space is the Throne Room (300m2). The most important concept of this room, is the many paintings you can find there, the main one is the paint of Catalina II dressed like a Colonel, Riding her horse "Diamond", in front of the Imperial Guard.

Something very interesting, you can find there, is the fake windows, that are not windows, they are mirrors, that make the rooms look bigger, and use natural light more effective.

The greatest fame of Peterhof, is the many fountains you can find everywhere, and the beautiful views you can find of the Gulf of Finland.

The best time for visiting this amazing complex of buildings, is on summer, i mean is the best time for visiting Saint Peterburg, why? you are going to have white Nights, flowers everywhere, the fountains working, and the palaces with the Restoration completed.
I visited Peterhof on April, and they were working on the restorations, so most of the complex was closed, even the Samson Wasn't there so it was sad haha.
If you have the opportunity to visit this city, Peterhof is a MUST BE!



Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb