Saint Isaac's Cathedral 04-April-2011


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
July 10th 2011
Published: July 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Peterburg


In front of St Isaac's Square you can fin the phenomenal Cathedral with the same name.
The Cathedral is a monumental construction, it was built by Auguste Montferrand (1786–1858) and ordered by Tsar Alexander I.
The Temple was built during 40 years, even Montferrand didnt live enough in order to see his construction finished.
The Cathedral its dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, he was the patron of Peter I (THE GREAT), it was the biggest Temple in the Russian Empire, it have (101,5 m) of height.
The Temple amaze you with the luxury of the Golden details everywhere, the different kinds of marbles, the many paintings and the mosaics that makes the temple, a Museum too.
In the making of the decoration inside of the Cathedral worked prestigious painters such as:
-Fiodor Bruni
-Piotr Basin
-Ivan Vitalli
and many others.
You can visit the Cathedral almost every day of the week, the cost its the same for everybody, and you should go with a guide in order to understand perfectly what happened there.
For those religious persons (like me) its very interesting to be in this Temple, it represents the bible, the saints, and God himself, in a beautiful way.
in the entrance of the Cathedral you can find two huge doors, that make one, it was the original entrance, but the weight of each one its around 11 tons, so you enter by a small one.
inside you can divide the Temple by two, the left hand it works as a museum showing paintings, the sculpture of Monferrand, and how was the process of construction in the Temple.
The right hand its the church itself and it actually serve the mass, its a amazing sensation to be in this Cathedral, everywhere you look its beautiful.
Also you can find some souvenirs if you want to buy, postcards, sculptures, pins, religious stuff, and many other things.
Also i recomend if you can to go to the roof of the Cathedral ( yes you can), and have a panoramic view of the beautiful Saint Petersburg, its very high and the pictures you can take are awesome.
Its a very recommended site to visit, it offers everything, Historical things, Religious things, Art, Engineering concepts, and the panoramic view.





Additional photos below
Photos: 66, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb