St Petersburg day 2


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
June 2nd 2007
Published: June 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today was a full day of sightseeing driving. The archetecture is splendid with awesome stone works. The Neva river and a number of smaller rivers flow through the city dividing it in a series of islands connected by some 360 unique bridges. Former palaces line the waterways and canals and onion dome cathedrals are part of the cityscape. There are the monumental Rostral Columns, Peter and Paul Fortress, the cruisor Aurora, the winter palace and palace square. We toured St Isacc's Cathedral, the fourth largest in the world. Its dome coated with 200 pounds of pure gold, dominates the skyline. It can hold 14000 people and the walls are heavily ornated with marble and precious as well as semi precious stones. There are over 200 mosaics and paintings.
A typical russian lunch was served in a restaurant built in a restored palace. Vodka, champainge and caviar. A salad and beef stroganof was next with cofffee and cheesecake for dessert. Good meal, beautiful palace hall.
We visited the Hermitage in the Winter Palace, a residence of the Russian Tzars, as well as four other buildings. Art works of De Vinci, Raphael, Rembrandt, Rubens, and others.
Today we were very tired, but the meal was great and the show was american "MoTown" sounds. The british seem to enjoy it. To bed, to bed late. Tomorrow is Tallinn Estonia.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb