Cruise to St Petersburg Russia and the Baltic States


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
December 21st 2018
Published: December 21st 2018
Edit Blog Post

On a Baltic cruise, prepare to sample a delightful diversity of cultures and history and bask in the rich natural beauty of the region. You'll enter a tapestry of stories which include the lore of the Vikings, the Hanseatic League, Peter the Great, and Catherine the Great. Discover the lands of Hans Christian Andersen and Alfred Nobel.

Cruise highlights can include ports of call in Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallinn, Estonia; Stockholm, Sweden; Copenhagen, Denmark; and the breaktaking fjord country of Norway.

Visitors to Helsinki, Finland can revel in its cosmopolitan flair as well as its historical past. Finnish cultural touchstones include the Senaatintori, or Senate Square; Temppeliaukion, the Church of the Rock; the Helsinki Cathedral, Tuomiokirkko; Ateneum Art Museum, and the National Museum; the medieval Hame Castle; and the sea fortress of Soumenlinna, built in 1740's as a way to keep invading Russians at bay, and now welcoming visitors from around the world.

Capital of Russia


St. Petersburg, former capital city of Russia and home to iconic onion-shaped domes, is resplendent with the cultural glory of the Hermitage, one of the best art museums in the world. Also enjoy a canal boat tour, or take a day trip to visit the impressive imperial estates of Peterhof or Catherine's Palace.

Russia is a fantastic place to visit with many amazing sights such as Saint Basils Cathedral, Lake BiaKal, and the world famous Kremlin. You can get a russian visa easily if you are a UK citizen and have a wonderful holiday in Russia.

Medieval charm awaits you in Tallinn, Estonia, as does prime shopping. Step back in time with a visit to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Town, more than a thousand years old, or explore the Estonian Open Air Museum. Tallinn is proud to be designated a European Capital of Culture for the year 2011.

Stockholm, Sweden, home to all things Nobel as well as the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Drottningholm Palace, also showcases its Old Town dating back to the 13th century. You'll find the Nobel Museum, the Royal Palace, and the Stockholm museum here. In addition to fine shopping, indulge yourself in the traditional buffet of Smorgasbord. Explore Viking history in Sigtuna, 26 miles north.

Hans Christian Andersen's influence is seen in Copenhagen, Denmark, with first glimpse of the "Little Mermaid" statue in the harbor. Other highlights include the Amber Museum; the WWII Museum of Danish Resistance; The National Museum, home to key Danish historical and cultural artifacts; and the Open Air Museum, which boasts some 100 historical buildings. Amusement park fans will get their kicks at the world famous Tivoli Gardens.

The stunning beauty of fjord country in Norway offers a feast of mountainous ranges and fjords which are highly accessible. Hikers, fishermen, and cyclists will revel in the majesty of the area, but the restorative power of breathtaking waterfalls and sapphire lakes will appeal to everyone. Ports of call may include Bergen or Stavanger.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb