Red Square


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
August 13th 2006
Published: August 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today Johnathon, Kate, and I all went to Red Square. There was a huge communist demonstration going on. People were wearing tee shirts with Stalin on them and waving the USSR flag. We tried to stay far enough away to watch but not get in trouble. We weren't worried about the protestors (they're all very old), but worried about all the policemen surrounding them. It is amazing so many people are still communist. There were a couple people from Belorussia there to support their crazy president too.
Signs of the past still surround Moscow. There are statues all over the place of Lenin and other soviet leaders. Lenin's body still lies embalmed on Red Square.
Very few people of the younger generation are communists. Many old people have suffered because of the change in government so they are still communist. Under the Soviet system old people used to get pensions large enough to live off of. Now the pensions are so small they are only enough to buy a couple meals a month.
Signs of capitalism abound on Red Square though. We visited GOOM, the biggest mall in Russia. All the rich people shop there. It was a really beautiful mall with hundreds of stores, most of which sold American goods. We also saw a store that sold beautiful coats made entirely of fur. Each coat cost about $10,000 or more. Someone would have to have several bodyguards to wear a coat that expensive around Moscow.
Another obvious sign of capitalism is McDonalds. It is located right on Red Square and seems to be rather popular among the Russians.
Now off to lunch.

Advertisement



14th August 2006

Genna, this a trip of a life time!!!
Oh Genna, I cannot believe I can get to live this with you! Thank you for including me in this journey. I will read it every day you blog. As I see it now, I have walked some of these same steps with the same wonderment! Have an awesome time and take it all in slowly, so you can really remember every sound and scent of it! Love ya, your friend, Joeann
14th August 2006

Hi Genna
I love reading about your experience, I never thought it would be that different there. I miss you already. When you say that someone would have to have several body guards if they had a fur coat is there a lot of stealing there? When you are walking around do you ever feel unsafe? It sounds like you are really absorbing everything around you, and I love reading about it. Hope you are having fun!
15th August 2006

Red Square
Thanks :) we'll have to talk about our experiences when I get back!
15th August 2006

To Sarah
I've never felt really unsafe. It's really just the very rich people that have to watch out. If someone wears a coat that expensive and didnt have bodyguards I'm sure they would be robbed and probably worse. There are some unsavory people around but they usually do petty thievery and would only target the very rich for armed assaults and the like.
16th August 2006

Hi Genna!
I'm curious about learning more about your observations concerning Russian Culture. What is their clothing like? What is considered fashionable? Are blue jeans in or out of style? What does the average Russian do for entertainment? Finally, how are things progressing regarding your move to a family home. Have you been able to see the Kremlin yet? We all love hearing from you. Best wishes.
20th August 2006

To Dad: Russian dress
hmm I think ill have to reserve a blog for Russian dress, its so different. Men wear elf shoes and women often dress like sluts. there are guy purses too. Yes jeans are popular and so are tee shirts. Things change in Moscow so quickly. Two years ago they advised against students wearing tee shirts because they would stand out. But now everyone wears tee shirts with English or Italian slogans. Haven't been to the kremlin yet.

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb