In the Moscow Metro (not a famous poem)


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
July 18th 2013
Published: July 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

When our feet needed a break, we ventured into the Moscow metro, built between 1947 and 1953 during Stalin’s ‘Soviet Time’. Many of the spacious and majestic stations are beautifully decorated with paintings, mosaics, stained glass and sculptures depicting all the good things about life in Russia: the industry, music, science, bountiful food, scholars, and general merry-making.



A one-ride ticket costs less than $1 and we were the recipients of several acts of unsolicited friendliness as we found our way around. (I also had men offer me a welcome seat on several occasions.) This can be tricky as the station names are hard to spot from inside the cars and are difficult to recognize in the announcements as they don’t sound the way we might expect, however counting the number of stations we needed to pass through worked for us where all else failed. We were also careful to stick close together, really close together, after I almost left on a train without Keith. Luckily I was still in the doorway when the doors tried to close, which they do without warning, and Keith was able to hop on beside me. We felt like seasoned travellers after a couple of days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



18th July 2013

photo
Hi both, what super pics of the metro station. Sounds like Russia is quite an adventure.
24th July 2013

In the Moscow Metre
It was, Pauline. Frustrating at times but also interesting.
19th July 2013

The metro looks incredible - beautiful pictures and they obviously dont suffer 'underground graffiti' artists. Your episode of nearly losing Keith reminded me of when I lost Nigel on a very crowded New York underground. He got off but at the wrong stop leaving me on with a very stricken face. Moscow sounds well worth a visit.
24th July 2013

In the Moscow Metro
The lack of graffiti could also have something to do with the police presence in the metro. There was often an officer or two standing observing.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb