What to take on a trans-siberian trip


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
September 13th 2008
Published: September 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello,

From somebody who has done the trip - what do I take when I go travelling on the trans-siberian express:

Track suit
Take a track suit to change into as soon as you get on the train. If you are sharing your compartment with strangers, have the curtesy to wait till the loos have been opened and change there.

Mug and cutlery
Unless you can speak some Russian or have the luck your providnitsa speaks English or is willing to understand sign language, you need to bring a mug and your own cutlery. The mug should have a lid (in case the train jerks whilst you are carrying hot water from the boiler at one end of the wagon to your compartment). You will need to bring cutlery as you can't count on a fork or spoon being present in the pot noodles you can buy in any station you pass.

Clothes for any type of weather
Even when travelling during summer, don't count on the weather being nice everywhere and make sure you bring plenty of warm clothes too.

Books
Don't bring War and Piece, but do make sure you bring a good book to read. Watching the landscape role past can only entertain you for a while - especially once you hit Siberia and the landscape only changes so much as that the odd field or village replaces endless forests. Also, be kind enough to bring books you don't mind leaving behind - other travellers will be greatful to exchange their books with yours.

Be nice to the provodnitsa
Each wagon on a Russian train has two provodnitsas. They make sure you get off the train at the right time, clean the wagon, lock the loos at stops etc. They can tell you how long the train stops at each station and so could possibly cause you to miss your train ... (I haven't seen this happen but wouldn't be surprised if some travellers have a story or two to tell about missing their train).

Dictionary
If you are travelling on the tourist trains you probably won't need one, but if you are taking local trains as we have a dictionary is elementary. Just in case you meet a Russian who is interested in talking to you.

Money for every country you travel through
If it all possible make sure you change money as soon as you have the chance after entering a country. Don't count on the ATM at your station of arrival to work - as more often than not they don't.

I am sure I've left off a lot of stuff, but time is running out.

Have fun, Titia

Advertisement



Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb