From Russia with Love.........


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
August 31st 2008
Published: August 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

London to Moscow

Point 0 London St Pancras Point 1 Lille Point 2 Brussels Point 3 Liege Point 4 Aachen Point 5 Koln Point 6 Solingen Point 7 Wuppertal Point 8 Hagen Point 9 Dortmund Point 10 Hamm Point 11 Bielefeld Point 12 Hannover Point 13 Berlin Point 14 Frankfurt Point 15 Poznan Point 16 Konin Point 17 Kutno Point 18 Warsaw Point 19 Siedice Point 20 Brest Point 21 Baranavichy Point 22 Minsk Point 23 Orsha Point 24 Moscow

After lots of emotional goodbyes and wondering if it was too late to change our minds, we thought about what we were leaving behind and here is the outcome:



So needless to say we decided to go!

We departed on Eurostar on Friday 29th August arriving in Brussels before a quick change to Cologne, we were lucky enough to have several hours to tour the city's Cathedral and eat our Wiener Schnitzel by the Rhine (although it has since been pointed out that this is an Austrian delicacy!).

We boarded the night train bound for Moscow at 22.28, after clambering over the people who were paying backhanders to get on the train! we secured our two berth sleeper much to the disgust of other passengers who were shoe horned in three to a cabin, we felt as though we were traveling in relative luxury. The estate agents spec would read something like - compact luxury bijou studio apartment, comes with mezzanine bed with a stunning view of the living space below, accessed by a beautiful handcrafted chrome plated staircase (ladder), a private (that is when you are in it alone) bathroom with a view of the track below, running water provided as long as cold is your preferred option. A couple of scatter cushions and the right lighting and this apartment could be the spacious luxury studio you have always wanted!!

We were warmly welcomed on board by the delightful lady that was to be our carriage assistant for 2 days, ignoring us when we tried to communicate was the least of our worries given that the doors did not lock and she was our night time guardian!

The gentle or not so gentle rocking/shunting of the train had Rob asleep in seconds, Kirstin however decided it would be a great time to count the number of railway sleepers between Germany and Russia.

Upon waking on the 30th Aug, Rob set off to find the buffet car, after setting off in one direction he was told that the buffet was in the opposite direction, once
Only us!Only us!Only us!

St Pancras Station Waiting for Eurostar
he had reached the driver he realised that there was no food/drink available on the train! Two days in and we had to hit the emergency rations! Breakfast: 2 x oatmeal biscuits, Lunch: Salt & Vinegar chipsticks followed by Jaffa cakes for dessert, Dinner: posh nosh, just add water to dry ingredients and hey presto, pasta carbonara! Thanks to Dad's top tip we have been saved from starvation on our second day!

31st August - arrived in Moscow, checked into hotel and hit the town; we have had a brief tour of the hotspots including the Kremlin,St Basil's Cathedral and Red Square.

If anyone ever wondered what happened to the Mullet hair do, it is alive and kicking in Moscow.

Thanks to everyone for their messages, keep them coming.
Missing you
K&R
xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

St ChristopherSt Christopher
St Christopher

Cologne Cathedral - the St of travel
CologneCologne
Cologne

The pink House on the right is where we had a spot of Schnitzel
Bear WatchBear Watch
Bear Watch

There was so much to do like drink coffee and watching the world go by, then have another look for the buffet car and drink more coffee!!!
The Changing of the GaugeThe Changing of the Gauge
The Changing of the Gauge

The carriage went up in the air, the wheels came off and a new set put on to enable us to fit on the track in Belarus.


7th September 2008

Can you see the sea yet?
Are we there yet...are we there yet...are we there yet. Hey Son, how ya diddling? Hey Kirsten as well, not that we've met, but Im Rob's gay lover. Come back you bitch I miss you! I'd like to write more but it's taken me 3 hours to work out how to leave a message on this thing! The word technophobic was invented for me! Have a great time people, speak soon.
9th September 2008

Hahaha
I love the comment from your mum hahaha Aww bless!! Hey guys its looks like you are having an awesome time, the weather here is miserable, i think winter has arrived early!!! Looking forward to reading your next entry and seeing your pics Take care Love nic xx

Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 29; qc: 125; dbt: 0.0935s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb