Hard Work.


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Centre » Yaroslavl
November 12th 2005
Published: December 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Part of ulitsa Svobody.Part of ulitsa Svobody.Part of ulitsa Svobody.

Near the polyclinic.
My appointment at the poliklinika was at mid-day in a building between ulitsa Tolbukhina and Yaroslavl Glavnyi train station. I met Valentina Ivanovna in a big winter overcoat, and we walked there together. On the way we stopped at a menswear shop, so I could help her choose a jacket for her son's birthday present.

The building was exactly how I had imagined a Russian clinic: cold, grey and dull. The room I was taken to was medium sized which was shared by two doctors. Valentina Ivanovna explained that I was "the student-Englishman" and that I probably had Ostrochandros. They made me take my shirt off and explain my symptoms then one of them took my pulse and blood pressure. As if my Russian language hasn't been tested enough lately: imagine speaking it half-naked in front of three middle aged ladies! That was all I needed to do for the first appointment. I have meetings with specialists next monday and wednesday to examine my heart.

Thinking that my heart could be a problem is frightening, especially at twenty. For now though all my results were very positive. I'm feeling better, quite weak still but my head is less sore. Hopefully it is just this 'season-sickness' mixed with the anxiety of the last two weeks.

I have sorted out my living arrangement. It is a very complicated story that I don't want to go over again, but in short I have agreed to live with Tamara Aleksandrovna until 23rd December and have stopped paying for evening meals. It means that I can use the flat how I want - as a place just to sleep and wash - not live there with the awkwardness that I've had enough of. Things were resolved happily; Tamara Aleksandrovna wants me here, I can have dinner wherever I choose and I am paying less.

Stress is easily forgotten when England are winning at football, which is why an evening in the 'Tekhas' sports bar was so welcome. The seven of us that live in the Tolbukhina area came. It's joined with the Texan restaurant so it was like watching England vs. Argentina in a wild west saloon!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb