Day #17: Vladimir


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Centre » Vladimir
April 19th 2013
Published: April 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Moved on to Vladimir today. Although the journey was only 3 hours, and was in the middle of the day, we are now officially on the Trans-Siberian route, so were in a sleeper car (3rd class, since we were only sitting). Even during the day on the Trans-Siberian there are many people lying around on their beds, and we were issued with bunks and bedsheets, even though we had no intention of using them. And, of course, the radio is playing (music and, apparently, comedy programmes) and many sales people are passing through the train, selling food and souvenirs. Excited for the forthcoming longer journeys!

The Winter Olympics are coming to Sochi next year, and Russia is excited. The official kit is prominently displayed in shop windows in GUM, and it is not uncommon to see Russians walking around in the full Olympic tracksuit. They also have a few countdown clocks, like the one that lived in Trafalgar Square for the year or so before the London Olympics - I saw one in Moscow and one in St Petersburg. I also saw a news report this morning of a warm-up ice hockey match played in Sochi between Russia and USA last night. I've never been much into the Winter Olympics but perhaps when I am back home next year I will take an interest in Sochi's!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb