No Rest


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Centre » Kaluga
August 27th 2007
Published: August 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wow, what a weekend I had! It is a good thing I got over my cold because there was no resting this past weekend and with so much stuff to do here in the Moscow and Kaluga regions, I do not need to fly anywhere else.

On Wednesday, Freddie called me to see if I wanted to go to the Moscow Air Show on Saturday. I had actually been thinking about it, but did not want to venture it on my own as I was not that interested in it, but when he offered, I accepted. I told him I would schedule my driver and he said that was not necessary as his company was scheduling buses and we could all go on their company bus, which why he needed to know on Wednesday. Leo also accepted.

On Saturday morning, I am running late to ontime as usual and see Freddie calling me as I walk out the door. I knew I was going to be just ontime to a minute or two late so I am trying to run and talk to him all at the same time. Poor Freddie is terrible on the phone and with me running, it made it all the worse. I told him I would be there in three minutes, which make me one minute late and I made it, exactly one minute late. They were not waiting on me, but I was the last person on the bus, which is when he introduces me to his hope to be girlfriend and tells me Leo is sick and will not make it. Oxanna does not speak English so I am glad I brought some things along to do to keep me busy.

We left at 7:35, but made a another stop to pick up some other people and then headed to Moscow. We made good time into Moscow, but then we hit the Show traffic and finally arrived at 11:45 AM. I am not sure if it was planned or what, but the gate where the bus dropped us off at ended up being a VIP gate so after we all had our tickets we had to be scanned and then loaded on another Show bus that was inspected for bombs and other things, but it dropped us off right at the entrance gate. It took Freddie longer to explain why I
For SaleFor SaleFor Sale

Any interested in buying one, besides the billionair Russian?
had to go through a particular line than it did to go through the line, which was not the case for everyone at the main gate, which I had heard was taking hours to get through. So by noon, we were walking the grounds.

I must say, it was a nice air show. I haver never been to one, but have seen articles about them and thought this was pretty good. I would have to agree with the paper's write up that they needed more toilets, trash cans, sinks, and food vendors. To be honest, I did not see any sinks to wash your hands and the toilets and vendors all had lines, but even with that said, it was a nice show. I hope enjoy a few of the pictures.

One funny story that I have to tell. While walking the vendors, I see one of the discount airlines handing out brochures and it something about 70%. I am thinking it may be some coupon code so I hold my hand out to request one. As the lady hands it to me, she starts in on the sales pitch. I did not want to be rude so
Watching the ShowWatching the ShowWatching the Show

Oxanna and Freddie watching the show.
I listen to it (in Russian) nodding my head from time to time, acting interested until the end and tell her, thank you, but I am not interested (in Russian). This whole time, Freddie is standing off to the side rolling laughing. He finally comes up to me and said, "Why did you listen, you did not have a clue as to what she was saying." I told him I did not want to be rude well he can not stop laughing and finally tells here that I can not speak or understand Russian. At first she looked a little insulted, but then she too starts laughing and has to tell the other girls working with her. I told Freddie, I do this kind of thing all of the time - he just laughed!

Also, it was neat seeing and talking with some of our service men that were there taking part. I thanked all of them that I ran into, which of course led to conversations like why I was here, where we were all from, where they were stationed, etc. I found most were from Germany so I had to tell about Pat being there, but dumby me, could not remember what area of speciality he was in so I would just say the their old town name because I can not even remember their new town where they are now living. But it was neat to talk to them and thank them for their service to our country!

At one of the Russian cargo planes, our service man made a comment that I thought was interesting. He said, "I never imaged being this close to one of these in peaceful times....it is also interesting to see their level of preventative maintenance." We dicussed the lack of PM throughout the country, from poultry processing plants to obviously, military airplanes. I would have to agree with him, you would think they would put their best on display, and maybe they did, but it was not in good shape even to an untrained eye.

Then other thing I found out from Jetta after I got home, some rich Russian offered to buy our B-52 bombers from the US military. http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2007/08/27/051.html


Then on Sunday, Freddie, Leo and Andrey picked me up at 10 for "an excersion." We headed south of Obninsk and then east to
HeartHeartHeart

This was a French group, they were good!
a small town (Spas-Zagoriye - Spas means Savior) to see the church there. It was amazing. The town (more like large village) was all run down, but they had a wonderful church. I could not take pictures from inside, but there was gold everywhere and beautiful paintings...WOW. Then, we headed off road, literally. See the pictures to believe so we could go "treasure hunting" which means using a metal detector to look for things. It was not really what I wanted to go, but Andrey has been asking me to go for some time now and I thought if Leo and Freddie were along, it would help make it more interesting.

After we finally arrived to where there are no roads, we get out and enjoy the scenery. Thankful Andrey went treasure hunting, while we played freesbie. Andrey found a Russian bullet and an unidentified metal ring, along with lots of nails. This is now where it gets interesting. We had a map, but again, when there are no roads (or compasses), it does not do much good but we continue our adventure. I honestly was a little unsettled as I had no idea where I was at (nor
Up CloseUp CloseUp Close

As fast as they were moving, it was difficult to get good photos.
did they as I later found out), Freddie's driving is not scarying me, but I keep thinking what if we hit something and the car breaks down, we will never get out of here, I see no villages or people, I have no cell signal and we keep seeming to go deeper and deeper into the vast forest and fields. Now from time to time, we did come across some road and we would follow it or the power lines, if we found some. At one of the tees in the road, Freddie asked me, which way, I told him he had the map, which is when I confirmed what I already feared, he did not have a clue as to where were at. So finally after traveling a little further, we find a four person village and they get out and ask for directions. I told them the American was staying right there in the car...lol

I am not sure what they told the lady, but some how my name or nationality must have come up because she wanted to meet me. I guess earlier that summer they had an American girl stay with them as part of
American FighterAmerican FighterAmerican Fighter

As fast as they were moving, it was difficult to get good photos.
an exchange program. The American girl was not there now, but the Russian lady found it interesting to meet yet another American at her home. Her directions work and we finally find the highway again, but before doing so, we stop for a light picnic type lunch which was fun (especially since I could hear cars again....lol).

The adventure is not over, but at least we stay around people. We headed to a small city called Maloyaroslavets, where a huge battle took place. We went to a working habit/school (only nuns were living/working there) called Chernoostrozhsky Monastery. Chernoostrozhsky means black fortress or even prison. This is when I call Denis to tell him, "The American is invading his home time" because he lives there. After that we went to this very small, but very nice museum about the war between the Russians and the French (Napolean).

Then we loaded back in the car and headed to Borovks for a working monestary called St. Pafnutyi Monastery. The problem, several of us had shorts on and you had to have pants to enter the compound. We still walked around and some drank some of the holy water. If we wanted
4-Wheel Drive4-Wheel Drive4-Wheel Drive

Thank goodness this was a four wheel drive car/SUV as we needed it along part of the journey.
to wait, we could have jumped in the holy water, which is about 35oF. Thankfully that is not something they wanted to do, nor did I. I think they were all a little offended that I did not want to drink from the natural spring.

It was an awesome weekend and we had great weather (starting to cool down here, upper 60's during the day and lower 50's at night). I would have never gotten to see parts of Kaluga that were probably only 15 km from Obninsk had it not been for these guys. We had a great time! Thanks Freddie, Leo and Andrey!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Spas-Zagoriy ChurchSpas-Zagoriy Church
Spas-Zagoriy Church

This was the first church we stopped to see. Wow, was it awesome inside.
Dirt RoadDirt Road
Dirt Road

You call this a road and it goes where????
This is a Road?This is a Road?
This is a Road?

The picture was taken looking out the front windshield of the car!
Finally ArriveFinally Arrive
Finally Arrive

For freesbie and treasure hunting.
FreesbieFreesbie
Freesbie

This was something Mom or Jetta picked up for me to take back to Russia. It made a great gift and we had a lot of fun. Freddie was pretty good and Leo caught on quickly.
Freesbie MeFreesbie Me
Freesbie Me

This was something Mom or Jetta picked up for me to take back to Russia. It made a great gift and we had a lot of fun. Freddie was pretty good and Leo caught on quickly.
Picnic Lunch1Picnic Lunch1
Picnic Lunch1

Once we found our way out of the wilderness.
HabitHabit
Habit

Chernoostrozhsky Monastery. It survived the attack from France, but you can still see the bullet holes in the front gate.
1812 Museum 1812 Museum
1812 Museum

I think this stands for the year of the war.
1812 Monument1812 Monument
1812 Monument

Next to the museum. Very nice monument and museum for a very proud time in the Russian's history.
St. Pafnutyi MonasterySt. Pafnutyi Monastery
St. Pafnutyi Monastery

In Borovsk, Kaluga region north of Obninsk.
Waiting for Holy WaterWaiting for Holy Water
Waiting for Holy Water

at the Monastery in Borovsk


30th August 2007

Misunderstood
I laughed at your listening without understanding. I had our lab supervisor and her family over to my house a couple of years ago. I talked with her uncle for probably half an hour. The next day, she tells me he doesn't speak English. What a dork I am! He too was shaking his head and laughing - - like AT me, not WITH me!
31st August 2007

Trying to be nice
I really was not laughing at her, I was trying to be nice. In the States, I would have listen to her sales pitch if it would get me 70% airline tickets so I thought I would do the same here. I did not think much about it until Freddie started laughing and had to tell her. She too saw the humor, after getting upset for a second or two. :)

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb