Sighisoara


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Transilvania » Mures » Sighisoara
May 3rd 2008
Published: May 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

BenjaminBenjaminBenjamin

Peter and Hailey's special little boy, adopted as a baby.
Today we visited Sighisoara, home of Dracula, a Romanian folk hero. NOT the Disney Dracula! The castle dates back to the middle ages, although the settlement is probably older. Dracula pushed back the Turks who continually invaded Romania. We went there via train; a forty minute ride. Today was Peter's birthday, although we celebrated last night already with Peter, Hailey, Gerrit, Jane, Ed and I while the young people were at the youth group in Lunca. Tonight we had children's ministry in Cenade again. They are meeting with about twenty-five kids in a tiny home made out of cow dung and mud. Tomorrow we'll be at the Center of Hope in the morning and then going to church in Lunca in the afternoon. On Monday we hope to visit Copsa Mica, the polluted city. Although we drive through there everyday on our way to Lunca, we'll be hearing the story of one man whose family lived there. His three children have serious lead poisoning.

Tonight we debriefed with the team, like we do every night. Usually we end up with some life lesson. Some of the lessons this week: God molds our character as He brings us through trials but
Peter and HaileyPeter and HaileyPeter and Hailey

Celebrating Peter's birthday with Peter and Hailey at the restaurant.
we must persevere. He refines us like a refiner of silver until He sees His image in us. (Malachi 3) Today we focussed on Romans 8: NOTHING can seperate us from the love of God; not heights, nor depths, nor angels nor demons, nor powers, nor any created thing. Christ intercedes for us before God. We do not need to fear anything because God is on our side. We can confidently step out, trusting God in every
situation.

Yesterday a miracle happened! Peter and Hailey had not expected to have water in their home for at least another year as they did not have the ability to get it in sooner, nor did they plan to put it into Rita's house (the girl who works with the Gypsy kids) as it was way too difficult. Rita has lived without running water for about a year or two already. To get the waterline in they had to bust up a sidewalk, go underneath a large concrete step and dig a very long (60 feet) trench all by hand. Ed decided that they should try to punch a line through underneath the sidewalk and the concrete step from the cellar to
Train RideTrain RideTrain Ride

Taking the train to Sighisoara.
the well. If they would be even an inch off when they started, they would be a LONG ways off when they would reach the well. So Cory prayed at lunch for guidance when the men started punching the line through. (Peter actually didn't even believe it would work) When Ed busted through on the other side with the pipe he was exactly lined up with the trench! They could perfectly connect it. They said the cheering was unbelievable! Peter called Hailey to tell her that they had water in the house; she thought the basement had flooded! She had thought that they would not have any running water for at least another year! Peter said this morning that he was laying in bed trying to comprehend what had happened! He was just overflowing with thankfulness to God. Imagine living with four children in a house without any running water! That project wasn't even on their wishlist yet God provided for them!

Then we recapped our accomplishments for this week, for four days, actually as we did not work on Monday or Saturday:

1.) Renovated building at Centre of Hope. Installed stairs and shelves in storage room.
2.)
Orthodox ChurchOrthodox ChurchOrthodox Church

The Orthodox Church in Sighisoara.
Organized and put on Ladies Tea.
3.) Painted gaslines at Lunca.
4.) Stained Peter's house and grouted tile.
5.) Children's ministry on Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun.
6.) Installed water into two homes in Lunca.
7.) Installed shelves in Peter and Hailey's home in Lunca.
8.) Built and installed outhouse for Lodroman church.
9.) Mowed all the grass and whippersnipped. (Justin mowed for four hours straight.)
10.) Spoke to moms with orphans.
11.) Demolished old building and started on new camp kitchen.
12.) Built, primed, and painted new fence
13.) Built and installed new playground
14.) Dug drainage trench
15.) Installed garbage cans
16.) Bought groceries, and cooked and cooked some more!

Half the team is fighting bad colds, so pray for healing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Dracula's CastleDracula's Castle
Dracula's Castle

Dracula got his name because he would place invaders up upon sharp sticks along the border of his property to scare others coming in.
Romanian WeddingRomanian Wedding
Romanian Wedding

The bride and groom. We took this picture by the Orthodox church.
The Old, Old Graveyard.The Old, Old Graveyard.
The Old, Old Graveyard.

In the castle was a huge, old graveyard with family vaults for burial. Many were very old graves, but some faults had people added to their families as recent as 2003.
Wedding in the Castle.Wedding in the Castle.
Wedding in the Castle.

There were several weddings going on today.
Sighisoara HotelSighisoara Hotel
Sighisoara Hotel

We had an absolutely fabulous lunch in the Sighisoara Hotel. Food is very reasonably priced here. For about ten dollars you can feast on gourmet food and have a beer or a glass of wine too.
Jane's LunchJane's Lunch
Jane's Lunch

Jane ordered the Chef's Special and ended up with this huge plate of different kinds of meat and vegetables. Cost: $15.00.
Old LadyOld Lady
Old Lady

This old lady walked the streets selling apples. When we gave her 1.4 Lei or $.75 (all we had in smaller bills) she kissed Shawna two times on the cheek. Later on she met us again on the street and kissed Mikayla. "Thank you, thank you" she told us in Romanian.
Horses and more horses....Horses and more horses....
Horses and more horses....

I just can't get enough of the horses and wagons!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb