Into Romania


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Crisana » Bihor » Oradea
June 30th 2006
Published: July 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hungarian - Romanian border.Hungarian - Romanian border.Hungarian - Romanian border.

Exactly on the border, the white stone, Romania to the right. In the background is a watchtower on the horizon!
Day 41, 11th July.

Püspokladány - Oradea (ROMANIA) - Tileagd

I was up early enough to see the sunrise this morning with Scott, the other two were suffering from a bit of lethargy and it was 3 hours later before we eventually hit the road for the Romanian border. The weather had been too good to us and gave a very dry heat. Our road all the way was as straight as an arrow, but with one problem. That stupid Hungarian idea that bikes were banned on it along with horses and carts and tractors! We didn’t bother about this and piled along it all the way, 40 miles, the Romanian border with an hours stop for lunch on the way there.

At the border you could still see the Romanian watchtowers along the length as I saw in 1992, but with no troops inside. Hungarian officials were quick and then we passed the white-stone-marker which demarcated the actual border-line and were in Romania. The border official on the Romanian side was very courteous and we were through in minutes which totally surprised me. They must be really desperate for EU membership or something? So, we carried on
Foothills of TransyvannianFoothills of TransyvannianFoothills of Transyvannian

Heading into Dracula - Land!
along good roads past ugly factory complexes to the first city of Oradea where I changed DM50 into Lei. There were a lot of so called ‘street-urchins’ begging money, and shop guards chasing them away, very sad really, but it’s a racket perpetuated usually by parents. I wouldn’t give any of them any money unless they provided a useful service - for example; showing you to a bank would earn a few Lei.

We went to a bar for a couple of beers then headed off to free-camp with lots of water. About 10 miles from Oradea, the foothills of Transylvannia came into view and Rory spotted a motel and wondered if they’d let us camp there. After a little bartering we agreed a price of 1pound 50 per person, per night. I had a nice shower, a beer, then cooked supper for the guys - rice and assorted stuff. The sunset was great.



Total Miles: 1889.64 Todays Miles: 58.64 Average speed: 13.0 Time on bike: 4:29




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Rutted Romanian RoadsRutted Romanian Roads
Rutted Romanian Roads

Once off the main roads, you have to deal with this !!!
Into Transylvannia...Into Transylvannia...
Into Transylvannia...

Will we meet Vampires or Werewolves, or maybe something more scary ???
Romanian Border Police.Romanian Border Police.
Romanian Border Police.

This is what you get in you passport with the stamp, what does it mean - 'conditioned'?
The ChefThe Chef
The Chef

One of my favourite things - cooking in the forest!


29th November 2006

good
i've been to oradea before and that is how i see it too. really cool u see i was born in romania too.

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb