Romania Monday


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Crisana » Bihor » Oradea
April 28th 2008
Published: April 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The FactoriesThe FactoriesThe Factories

The factories which are polluting the whole area. Life expectancy is much lower here than elsewhere. Here in Medias it's tough to grow tomatoes and cucumbers due to acid rain. Lots of health problems!
Hello Everyone!

Easter Monday; more planning and meetings this morning to get ready for the projects, starting tomorrow. This afternoon we went with Peter on a tour of how his journey to Romania started back in 1990, one year after the fall of Ceauscecu. He described the horrible conditions in the staterun orphanages, with kids lying in their own excrement, two in a crib, eyes glazed over as they never received human touch. A few years later they adopted their little girl from that orphanage and then returned to run an orphanage, later on to be broken up into permanent foster homes. Peter could hardly talk he was so emotional as he shared about losing his own dad when he was young, and how he wanted to help those who did not have mothers and fathers. Something emotionally broke in me today as well. Something that I cannot describe. Something that was birthed seeing the orphans in Russia standing in the snow, staring at us as we drove up, their eyes huge. Something of the pain I still feel thinking about them, having to leave them behind there, and only being able to take one boy home. But also the
ChurchChurchChurch

The little church in Lodroman where we were on Sunday. It's mainly old people and youth. There is no running water, no toilet. We will be building an outhouse for them this week, something they've been praying for for a few years already!
feeling of having to leave another little boy behind in the orphanage who was supposed to be ours but could never come, although it was God's perfect plan for Mark to come. A strange mixture of emotions seeing those orphanages. Something I cannot explain to those who haven't experienced it, as well as an enormous blessing and joy that has entered our life through Mark.

Tomorrow we will have a ladies' outreach in a little town of Lunca. There is no running water there, no paved roads, poor families who live in the acid rain poured down on them from the horrible factories in the nearby town. We will also be installing playground equipment there this week. The teacher told Peter, "No one thinks of us, not even the Ministry of Education, but you have thought of us." Their playground is a dirt field without any gravel. In the rain, it is straight mud. The schools are so cold that the kids have to wear toques inside to stay warm. Anyway, we'll let you know how it goes. We miss you in Canada, but love our time here! God is good! We don't realize what we have in Canada!
Typical Village HomeTypical Village HomeTypical Village Home

This is a typical house in the village. Very poor.


Jane and I are doing our best to keep the crew of 25 fed three times per day! No small feat, but it helps having big families, New Year's celebrations with the Van Hierden's, and church potlucks!

Sorry to keep changing this! Just wanted to thank those of you who have left messages on the blog for us; it's cool hearing from you!

Love,

Els


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The SuppliesThe Supplies
The Supplies

The supplies have arrived! It was exciting to sort through all the toques and other supplies that you sent out here with us. Thanks so much!
Centre of HopeCentre of Hope
Centre of Hope

A picture of the main building of Centre of Hope; a great job by so many volunteers to renovate all this!
Peter's StoryPeter's Story
Peter's Story

Peter shared his story of how he ended up in Romania. So much heartache and pain! We were all very touched and shook up. Like one person said, "Seeing the orphanage, I felt that I lost a piece of my heart."
Chelsia's New HaircutChelsia's New Haircut
Chelsia's New Haircut

We also had some fun! Chelsia found a marvelous wig!
EliseElise
Elise

Elise found a wig too....
State OrphanageState Orphanage
State Orphanage

Peter took us to the place where he first went in 1990 and then later adopted his daughter. A tough moment for him as he traveled back in time to the moment. A few years later he adopted his daughter from there.
Bezooyen MobileBezooyen Mobile
Bezooyen Mobile

The snazzy car the Bezooyen's drove today!
Funny Traditions....Funny Traditions....
Funny Traditions....

On Easter Monday the men and boys get to spray the ladies with perfume as a memory of the oil that Mary Magdalene did not need for Jesus. We sure stank by evening! We managed to avoid a few "perfume patrols" though!


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb