France, Spain, and Portugal 2017


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Sintra
November 15th 2017
Published: November 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

November 11&12th Sintra, Portugal
On our last morning in Porto, Dawn and Lynda went down the street for a last minute shopping spree at a corner Portuguese handicraft shop when it opened at ten o'clock. Artisan jewelry and azulejos tiles! We were on our way south to Sintra by eleven. Anna, our host, recommended a stop at the coastal town of Nazare, a world renowned surfing spot, just two hours south of Porto. On the cliff above the amazing water views, we found a cafe that served Lynda and Barry's new favourite...deep fried cheese and cod cakes. Barry also bought Lynda a beautiful Portuguese sweater in a local family shop. Nazare is a picturesque town that hosts major surfing events during certain times of the year due to the gigantic waves.
We rolled into Sintra around four o'clock. Our B&B was on a steep hillside down a narrow, cobbled tile road. It was a four story villa with a different living space and amazing private plant-filled terrace on each level. Handsome Frederico, our host, said he would build yet another story some day as it was the only way to expand. (His two year old son was named Luca...a name we hear often in Europe, like our beloved Lucas.)
Sunday morning, after Frederico's delicious breakfast, we walked down a park path to the historic center of town. The 434 bus then carried us high up into the hills to two famous but unalike historic spots. First was the Moorish Castle, built in the 8th and 9th centuries. We climbed up steep steps along the walls to one of the many parapets to see the amazing views below and take pictures proving we were there...but no selfies or selfie sticks! People have compared the castle of the Moors and Pena Palace to scenes from Game of Thrones. Pena Palace was yet a further walk up the steep hill. You get your exercise here in Portugal. This palace was built in the 19th century by Ferdinand August Franz Anton from Austria , who married into the Portuguese royal family and became King Ferdinand II. Unlike the Moorish Castle, it is not ancient or crumbled. It was built in a romanticism style...kind of like a Disney fairytale.
We hopped on the 434 back to town, ambling through narrow streets and interesting shops, sampling cherry liqueur in edible chocolate cups, stopping for Portuguese drinks and lunch....and savoring every moment. Tomorrow it's off to the hustle and bustle of Lisbon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb