Faro Santiago bike ride


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern
September 18th 2022
Published: September 18th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Águeda to Porto 86.96 km

A day to be careful with the battery…
We have made it a habit to have breakfast at 7.30 and to get on the road by 8.00. Why 7.30? Because that is the time kitchens seem to open here. Fortunately for me, kitchens do not open earlier!!
The day proved to be a heavy one with a lot of climbing. In total, we climbed almost 1.300 m. As I explained in previous notes, climbing generally requires more battery usage. Today that certainly was true. One of our batteries (Jaap's) run out out of power. Miraculously, this happened 150 meters from the corner of a restaurant where we could eat and recharge.
I almost run out of battery getting to Porto. Just one of 5 bars of charge left. Does not feel comfortable cutting it so short. As indicated before, running out of battery is a disaster since biking without battery power is not an option. Way too heavy to pedal and so move the bike. The only option left then is to walk with the bike….
Porto is a beautiful place. Lots of things to do and to see. Close to the apartment we rented,
Santiago da RibaSantiago da RibaSantiago da Riba

An other Santiago..
we found “an old timer” car (photo) that gave us a tour of the city that left us on the other side of the river Douro to have a beer on the riverside.
We finished the evening with a good meal eating in an Italian restaurant.
Since we are nearing Santiago faster than we had anticipated, we agreed to take it somewhat easier tomorrow and leave somewhat later.

It will still take us some 250 km to get to Santiago, but we have 5 days to do it.

Terrain will be difficult, but surely it will be doable.
Today we biked 87 km.

Note: Looking at the river from the bridge you get de impression that the left and right bank form the same city. In reality, there are two cities: south of the river Douro, the city is called Vila Nova de Gaia; north lies the city of Porto.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

ArrifanaArrifana
Arrifana

Churches everywhere.
Mosteiro de Sao Salvador de GrijoMosteiro de Sao Salvador de Grijo
Mosteiro de Sao Salvador de Grijo

Looking up the route. A repetitive activity..
Mosterio de Sao SalvadorMosterio de Sao Salvador
Mosterio de Sao Salvador

Getting a lecture...
Arriving in PortoArriving in Porto
Arriving in Porto

Sunset on the bridge.
A Fancy RideA Fancy Ride
A Fancy Ride

A great way to see the city. The electric car is permitted almost everywhere.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

My favorite topic.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb