Porto, Portugal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
September 24th 2017
Published: September 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Portugal



Our first port of call was Porto. We took the local bus into the center of the city and walked down to the riverfront. It reminded me of Valparaiso in that it was very hilly. The streets and sidewalks are cobbled and that makes it a bit of a challenge for me. Still we persist. This is a town that respects it’s architecture and character and still maintains its Old World charm. It must be a zoo in summer since the square was chock-a-block with people. In the center is the church of Clerigos. It’s facade is beautifully tiled.



We picked a narrow street leading downhill and checked out the shops. Near the square they were ticky tacky souvenir shops but here and there there was a goldsmith shop with delicate and intricate jewelry. This was their spot in the olden days. Another lane running parallel was home to other trades. Traffic is prohibited except for delivery trucks and they will smash you into the wall if you don’t watch out. Many building were under repair and we couldn't see what they were doing because of plywood shielding. The buildings that were restored had wonderful tiled facades. A number of the 19th century stone buildings had been preserved. It was quite a lovely stroll.



The riverfront was busy with tour boats. You can take a helicopter tour from there. We were looking for a riverside restaurant but the longer we walked the fewer places looked inviting. I think we picked the wrong direction. So we walked and walked until we came to a bus stop. We could have got on off at a number of places but decided to return to the ship.



And then it happened. No I did not fall as usual. Instead I was distracted and walked straight into a lamp poll. Shades of Jerry Lewis!!! Stunned, it took me a minute or two to get control. No harm, no foul. A small cut lip and a bruise above my eye that was hidden by my glasses. Again, I was very, very lucky. Now in addition to watching the pavement for trip hazards I have to watch for lurking lamp posts. Such is my life.





Tomorrow is Lisbon


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb