Porto, Portugal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
June 20th 2016
Published: July 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We flew into Porto and picked up our rental car at Hertz. Hertz told us you get the best deal if you reserve a small car then upgrade when you arrive. We rented a car with GPS or else we spend a lot of time lost. When we arrived at the Sheraton (free on points from our credit card), there was a commotion going on. We were told the police would not allow us to park in front of the hotel and the hotel employee would park our car. When we went in we found out the Portugal National football team (soccer to us) was staying in the hotel and would soon be down to board the bus to the game. We waited with everyone else and the press for them to come downstairs. They were very nice about stopping to sign autographs for the children. After they left we went to our room and turned on the tv, we wanted to see if the team was on tv. We had to laugh the news helicopter followed the bus from our hotel to the stadium, reminded us of OJ and his Bronco.

It was dinner time so we walked a few blocks to a restaurant and had dinner. After dinner we shopped for breakfast food, wine, fruit and chocolate.

On our first day we walked to the metro station near (15 min walk) our hotel. Turns out it was just a platform and the ticket machine did not take credit cards or bills only coins. We did not have any coins so we walked to a pharmacy and I was looking around for something cheap to buy, the cashpier asked if I needed help. I explained I wanted to buy something cheap so I could get change, she said no need to purchase anything and she gave me change. To use the metro you need to buy a Andante card for $0.50 Euro then you can add money to the card. We bought two day travel cards. The metro does not have a lot of stops but it went to the center of town and we took the metro back and forth for two days. The metro is clean and the trains come about every five minute.

In town we visited the Clerigos Church and the connected tower. The tower has 225 steps and you can go outside on most floors. The tower visit ends at the beginning of the museum. It is a museum of religious artifacts. There is a charge for the tower but it is worth the cost. We visited the Sao Bento Train Station, so I could use the bathroom and turns out they have beautiful tile murals. We walked all over town, which is hilly with the riverside at the low end. I enjoyed the old architecture and old buildings covered in tiles in different patterns and colors. In churches the tiles told stories.

On day two we met up with good friends Randy and Nancy who happen to be starting a tour in Porto so we got together to sightsee and port taste. In Porto we took the funicular in Porto from the river uphill for fun and to avoid walking uphill. We also took the cable car which is in Gaia near the Port Lodges across the river to Porto.

Porto is a beautiful city on a river with lots of port and wine to taste. If you go to Portugal do not miss it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



11th July 2016

Port
Love the archectecture and the pictures that you took. The city looks gorgeous. Had to be crazy since Portugal won the soccer match and title.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb