Porto Day 2 - up with the Sun


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
April 7th 2016
Published: April 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Thursday April 7 - Porto, Portugal

Beautiful sunny morning, 55 now, promises to be 65 with no rain in the forecast until Saturday. We just beginning to explore our little corner of the city, the Ribeira or the river landing where the tour boats leave to go up and down this 210 K river. We are a few miles inland from the Atlantic but the Douro River, the second largest in Portugal runs for 210 K east to Spain. The areas inland 100 K to 210 K are some of the best wine growing areas in the world. Port Wine comes front here. My preference are the lighter Douro-Alto red wines, but we have been encouraged to try "green wines" too.

We found a small restaurant/taverna about 3 blocks from here and had a wonderful, inexpensive meal of red wine, grilled whole sea bass, yukon gold potatoes with onion and parsley, and great "hot" mixed veggies for LD. LC has a different meal of 2 Pork filled empanadas, green salad, and red beans and rice. Enough food we declined dessert but had coffee. We where in a living room of an house the overlooked the river and were the only two people in the place that felt like it was about due to be discovered...

We have a 30 minute PORT Winery tour at noon set up by out travel agent. We have to figure our how to get there in a taxi because it's on the other side of the river. Then we want to explore a shopping street and market in Porto up the hill and away from the River. That should be enough until evening.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb