Exploring Porto and Gaia - Oct 29 - Nov 1, 2012


Advertisement
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
November 21st 2012
Published: November 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Now that we are overwintering in Lagos, Portugal we have decided to take advantage of the time and do some overland traveling. We choose to use public transportation for our travels to both Oporto (more commonly referred to as Porto) and to Lisboa (Lisbon). Conveniently the bus station is very close to the marina in Lagos and took us to Porto with only a half-hour layover in Lisbon on the way nort... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

All Types of ShoppingAll Types of Shopping
All Types of Shopping

Shopping varies widely - from finding hams, sausages and cheeses displayed in the window to pastry shops with traditional treats. You can find fashions for the elegant and elite here as well , but fortunately no matter where you are in Portugal you can always find beautiful flowers for sale.
Where are those Arches?Where are those Arches?
Where are those Arches?

Anyone for McDonalds? It may not look like the typical golden arches, but this is definitely the same McDonald’s. We noticed that this one was quite busy on a Friday night with plenty of kids when we walked by.
Sunset ColorsSunset Colors
Sunset Colors

The sunset may not be quite as spectacular as it is out on the open ocean, but the color still stands out even with a city skyline.
Views from the RiverViews from the River
Views from the River

We saw vacant homes, an old monastery now used by the military due to its location on the hill, wooden boats being built and rows of homes along the waterfront with part of a city wall built in the 11-12th century .
Numerous Church VisitsNumerous Church Visits
Numerous Church Visits

We visited many of the churches in the city and saw a variety of architectural styles, lots of carved woodworking, beautiful statutes, gold-gilding, and detailed stone carvings.
The Clerigo TowerThe Clerigo Tower
The Clerigo Tower

The Clerigo Tower has 240 steps to the top where there is a fabulous view of the city. With a height of 248 feet it definitely acts as quite a landmark.
Our River BoatOur River Boat
Our River Boat

This is just one of many of the sightseeing boats you can take to see the 6 bridges connecting Porto with Gaia.
Connection to the HarborConnection to the Harbor
Connection to the Harbor

There were 18 of these doorways cut into the wall in the 14th century in order to connect an upper street with the harbor pier.
HandicraftsHandicrafts
Handicrafts

Just a few of the local handicrafts . Yes, those are wooden tops and no we have not gone to Holland, those are wooden clog shoes.
The Old and The NewThe Old and The New
The Old and The New

It is good to see that the old and the new can co-exist.
More Ornate than the AzoresMore Ornate than the Azores
More Ornate than the Azores

The water fountain here built in the 17th century is much more ornate than the ones that we saw in the Azores.
View from the BridgeView from the Bridge
View from the Bridge

A view from the bridge with the Porto side of the river on the right side of the photo.
Proof we were thereProof we were there
Proof we were there

We helped another couple take a photo & in return they offered to take our photo. We now have proof that we really were in Gaia with Porto showing in the background. Note it is getting cold – we are both wearing a scarf!
Just one of many narrow roadways we wandered through while in Porto.  Just one of many narrow roadways we wandered through while in Porto.
Just one of many narrow roadways we wandered through while in Porto.

Yes, this is a roadway as we did see cars on it as well!
The two sides of the riverThe two sides of the river
The two sides of the river

An overview from the Dom Luis Bridge with Porto on the right side of the photo and Gaia on the left.



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb