Santiago de Compostela - (Day3) Camino Portuges - Ponte de Lima - Rubiaes (19km)


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Braga
August 3rd 2004
Published: April 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

P1030342 - corn and grape vines trailP1030342 - corn and grape vines trailP1030342 - corn and grape vines trail

along the ‘trail’ which was mostly farming lands cape consisting of corn crops and grape vines
Ponte de Lima - Rubiaes (19km)
Day 3
Ponte de Lima - Rubiaes (19km)
Woke at 0600 and headed off by 0640. The morning was still dark and cool with a lot of fog of which we had to start looking very closely for the Yellow Arrows to show us the way. (On the previous trip the group missed an arrow and went the wrong way, they had a difficult start. So we all had to be on the look out for the elusive yellow arrows. These arrows can be a bit hidden, rubbed out, faded, or in a number of different places from stones, road, post, etc. You can imagine the excitement we had the night before when we found the first arrow and the end of the bridge the previous night).
The fog lasted till about 1000.





We crossed a new bridge around Rio Labruja (photo), it was around this area that we met a lone Portuguese walker who was doing the Trail in sections over weekends.
At the top of a hill we came along to a cross of the fallen ‘crucero’ where people place a stone for good health and travels.
Our
P1030343-  Ancient dry housesP1030343-  Ancient dry housesP1030343- Ancient dry houses

To keep animals from getting stored food.
group had split in two by this stage and we continued along the ‘trail’ which was mostly farming lands cape consisting of corn crops and grape vines (photo).




The trail took us along some Romanic coble stone sections, we passed the town of Agualonga (photo), were we listened to church choir music for about 30-40 mins along the track. This was a most melodic, peaceful and most rewarding section of the trail for me. It seemed they used a loud speaker to transcend the sound all along the valley homes scattered along the surrounding hills.





Arrived at San Roque and missed our official stop (Rubiaes) as we kept following (hypnotised by the yellow arrows). We realised that on reaching the 3 arched Romanic Bridge (which was due to be passed the following day) we had gone too far. We walked to the road and headed back up towards the town again (EXTRA 2km). On the way we met Jq who was in a car with the town representative who had the key to the hall where we were to sleep that night. We hitched a ride and drove past our sleeping
P1030345 - trail below 'new áutoviaP1030345 - trail below 'new áutoviaP1030345 - trail below 'new áutovia

Trail below new highway bridge. near Ribario
quarters to meet the rest of the group who were about another 2km up the road. Then I realised we had to walk all the way back and was very pissed off since the driver had offered to drop my cousin and me at the Hall, but Jq said we might as well go and meet the group. What pain…….we had to walk yet an extra 2km again.








After unpacking we walked down to the town (extra 2km) and had lunch at a restaurant, I had pork loin chops, chips and salad, melon and drinks for E7. A lovely lunch and then we had to walk up to the Hall yet again (extra bloody 2km)

.
The hall was a town hall with a high wooden stage and 1x toilet down stairs. Some of us tried to rest but the people walking about on the wooden floor made it impossible with the noisy wooden floors and the hard floor with no padding was extremely uncomfortable but at least I rested for a while. My cousin and I did not have a padded mat.
After our ‘rest’ we walked up to the
P1030347 - Rio BragaP1030347 - Rio BragaP1030347 - Rio Braga

Misty recletions along Rio Braga (or undies bridge)
old Romanic church ‘Iglesia Rubiaes’. Looking at the lovely green grass of the church grounds next to the old tombs, some thought of sleeping in the greens that night, al fresco.



Some of the group had a wash and did their washing on the grass by the Hall. Then decided to have a water fight since it was hot, later some went to the river by the 3 arched bridge for a swim and to cool off and some of us went down to the town shops for groceries and drinks.
My legs, well left calf feet and one toe were by now giving me hell, and still had to walk back to the hall. I recon I must have walked an EXTRA 10km on this day.









A Siamese kitten was in the Hall when we arrived and craved attention, some of the group did not mind her and some did. R was frightened and continuously asked for the cat to stay outside specially during the night as she felt it would scratch her face. During the afternoon the kitten was craving attention and climbed on C’s leg,
P1030354 - Small churchP1030354 - Small churchP1030354 - Small church

Town of Vahinlos Valde
he tried to brush it away and as the kitten lost her balance she scratched him badly.


Since it was quite a hot day and the air humid indoors I opened the doors on two sides before settling and this helped to cool the Hall. When we settled to sleep, most of us on the wooden stage, the air become more suffocating and I was lying on a mat which R lent me since she had an inflatable bed. My cousin had gone with J, A and JJ to sleep in the church greens after she could not find a comfortable place in the Hall.




By about 0100 I began coughing and become wheezy, I kept waking everyone and tried to get some fresh air outside but it did not settle and I finally decided to lie by the open door as some fresh air came in.
Opening the door let the kitten in but she did not disturb anyone and in the morning I told R that the kitten had slept all night by her side.
I did not sleep this night and by 0410 some began to stir and wake, a few
P1030355 - Fonte das Tres  BicasP1030355 - Fonte das Tres  BicasP1030355 - Fonte das Tres Bicas

Romanic ancient drinking fountain with 3 pouts.
of us were ready for the day by 0515.














Two of the girls made white hoods of paper rolls and we went to wake the ones at the church tombs………………..BOOOOOOOO…..BOOooooooooo.
WE HAD FUN….



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

P1030356 - Romanic coble stone roadP1030356 - Romanic coble stone road
P1030356 - Romanic coble stone road

Still in existance, Roman made cobble stone roads with small crossing bridges over small creeks.
P1030359 - CruzeiroP1030359 - Cruzeiro
P1030359 - Cruzeiro

Many cross of the fallen along the camino, they are all different and are all along the camino to help guide the pilgrim to Santiago.
P1030362 - Agualonga - Lovely music sounding the hillsP1030362 - Agualonga - Lovely music sounding the hills
P1030362 - Agualonga - Lovely music sounding the hills

This lovely caption let us listen to lovely church music for over 30 minutes along the trails.
P1030364 - CruceiroP1030364 - Cruceiro
P1030364 - Cruceiro

Guiding pilgrim cross.
P1030365 - Rubiaes Old BridgeP1030365 - Rubiaes Old Bridge
P1030365 - Rubiaes Old Bridge

Three Arched Old Romanic Bridge of Rubiaes.
P1030370 -Church of San Pedro de RubiaesP1030370 -Church of San Pedro de Rubiaes
P1030370 -Church of San Pedro de Rubiaes

Iglesia de San Pedro, is a Romanesque church and dates back to the 12th Century,situated along the Way. The Nave was added in 16th Centur and the Tower dates to 17th Century.
P1030373-  Roman calendar situated in church yard with Ancient grave P1030373-  Roman calendar situated in church yard with Ancient grave
P1030373- Roman calendar situated in church yard with Ancient grave

Some of the group members slep on these greens over night.
P1030377 - Rubiaes Church CarvingsP1030377 - Rubiaes Church Carvings
P1030377 - Rubiaes Church Carvings

Rubiaes Church Carvings


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb