Day 3: Braga


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Braga
September 9th 2008
Published: September 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 3: Braga



After our well deserved night sleep we went to the reception straight away to check in. Little did we know that they didn't even realize that we were there. Our clandestine operation was a success!

Finally we visited Braga. there are two things you can not do on an empty stomach: fighting and thinking, so we ate some croissants and some tea/coffee at a local diner.

Braga gives you a military feeling because of its many concrete buildings. Even the nicest place is mainly and basically a concrete slab! Anyway, moving through the city we got to this nice little church, Igreja de Miséricordia, and what a fitting name! Only the outside walls still exist and they overflow into the .

The Sé outside is kind of sober. This is because it originally was a Gothic church, but somewhere in time someone decided it would be better off as a Baroc Cathedral!
Sober on the outside and beautiful on the inside!

THE thing to see in Braga is the Bom Jesus do Monte, a fine piece of neoclassical church building. Maybe the church doesn't give you any thrills, but the Via Sacra then sure will!

The Via Sacra is a gigantic baroc staircase like in Lamego, but the difference is that this one is completely in a forest and that on every floor rests a chapel with a depiction of Jesus's suffering beginning at the Last Supper and ending with his crucifixion. This was something really impressive!

But what now? Everything is dieing out in Braga....No cafes or nightclubs....Just silence...
This is the sound that gives us the urge to leave....So we pack up....again....leave....again....and head off to Porto! The difference this time is that we knew that there was public transportation to Porto and that we would be able to reach our camping in time!

On the way there we bought some food, just to be sure. We reached Porto in time...but in Porto, the buses work fantastic if you know which ones to take! So we ask, because our travel guide advised us to take a bus that didn't exist anymore, but no Portuguese seems to know how to get there!

Taxi!

We made just in time to the camping site. First of all, we wanted to eat, because we were starving. We started cooking at 23h30 and finished round about 1h and this was without putting up our tent...Eventually we started to do this task as well

Turning in after a nice meal

The backpackers




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1136s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb