Lisboa as the locals say...


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisboa
February 16th 2015
Published: February 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

I arrived safely this morn after a non eventful and non productive (sleep wise) flight over the Atlantic.



Lisbon is classic European with narrow cobblestone streets lined with 4 story buildings and churches abutted to each other. It's been 7 years since last being in Europe although I feel a calm sense of belonging.



Missing are the skyscrapers, heavy traffic, box stores, and rush to be somewhere. Not to mention the cold (it was 15° today - sorry had to rub it in). Gained are the numerous pedestrian streets, large plazas with fountains and statues where people meet or just hang out, as well as numerous sidewalk cafes where people sip coffee or vinho and watch leisurely as life passes by.



Now I realize many of you have witnessed this way of life and it tough to compare, but it always saddens me that so much was lost on the boat over in the name of progress and capitalism *tear*. There is such a sense of community here it's deafening.



There are of course good that comes from capitalism. Through AirBnb.com we booked someone's hip, lively and modern loft for our first 6 days. Smack dab in the thick of things downtown in the popular neighbourhood of Bairro Alto. For a song (C$100/night all in) we have private accommodations with all the amenities of home. So far from being in an impersonal hotel room where 1000's of guests slacked before you it's not even funny. I highly recommend this site.





The only thing missing are my wife and my little Savannah. Xo


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb