The Rain in Spain (no Portugal) falls mainly on the Train


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisboa
June 23rd 2014
Published: June 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, we get up and head out around 10 and take the subway to the train, we are going to Sintra. At the first subway stop Nicky sees a sign from the subway station that maybe we can catch the train there. Yep they have one, but we missed it by about 5 minutes. It's quicker for us to go into town on the subway and take the train from there. We find our seats and watch the country side slide by. About 40 minutes later we arrive in Sintra, along with the rain. Luckily we all have umbrellas but mine well, is just not right. It's toast once we get to Barcelona. We find the bus to make it to the quirky castle. ( Palace of Pena ). The bus ride is on this curvy slate road in the rain. super steep and curvy. Very glad Shelly wasn't there and making me hike it. We're in the back of the bus and the roof leaks, but luckily not on us but on the people in front of us. At the castle we head in and see a restaurant and grab a bite to eat while we let the rain pass.

The castle was quirky. This castle was a hodge podge of architectural styles with a colorful interior unlike most castles. The castle was built after the moors but it still has some of the onion arch ways and domes. Then there are the typical Portugal tiles over parts of the buildings and bright colorful colors. While we were in the castle the sun broke out and when we came out, we could see beautiful views of the surrounding areas.

After that we went back into town and walked around a bit and then headed back into Lisbon. We took an early dinner so that we could come back and rest in hope of heading out to watch the World Cup game between Portugal and the US. We all nap'd but when we woke, the rain was forecast and the radar look like it would hit, so we watched the game from the room. Sadly the US blew it in the last seconds and there was a tie. It was still fun watching it from Lisbon. It would have been more fun watching it at one of the many outdoor stadiums that they had set up around town. Europe gets a little crazy with partying for the World Cup, especially when their home team is playing.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.428s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.126s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb