Museum day


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisboa
April 15th 2018
Published: April 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Sunday: Another downpour! Oy! Raincoats are getting a workout. Today, the four of us rose a little later than usual and spent the morning reading the Washington Post and doing the crossword puzzle. Ever loyal, Mike read the Press Democrat, too. There is a bagel place down the street and I volunteered to go out to get breakfast. Now, we have tried to go to Raffi's Bagels at least three times since being here but, each time, the place has been in the process of shutting down for the day. Today, on a rainy Sunday morning, I thought, "yum, bagels". Sorry, closed today. WTF, Felicia? No problem, local pastry shop had outstanding croissants.

Rain eased up and Karen and Glen went in search of a mall and Mike and I went to the Gulbenkian Museum, one of Lisbon's finest and free after 2pm on Sunday. G&K had been there already and offered their recommendations as to where to start. Easy walk in the intermittent showers, we joined a group of like-minded citizens awaiting the witching hour. The pathways winding through the grounds take you to ponds surrounded by flowers, cool statues, and beautiful plants. There are lots of little alcoves tucked here and there, that offer shady retreats from the busy city. But, as I said, raining!

Moving on to the museum, we decided to visit the building that included Greek and Roman antiquities through European Impressionism. One of our fave museum helpers were the large cards, written in English, that explained the artwork and the development, through time, of the particular movement. Its interesting to note that museum and historical visits often cover a span of history and geography that is focused on a time and a world in which America is but a blip. What a great way to spend our day. There is another building that houses Modern Art. We didn't have time for that side, perhaps another Sunday.

Returning home, the four of us decided to skip our original plan of more Fado and found an Italian restaurant nearby. We spent the rest of the evening with great food and wine, and lots of laughs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb