Beaches, cliffs, and a little history


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve
January 9th 2020
Published: January 10th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Walking on the beach, looking over tall cliffs onto aqua colored crashing waves, and walking where the early explorers went to school...what more can you ask for in a day? Throw in some fishing boats, a lighthouse or two, and a fortress and that was our day.
We started our exploration of the Algarve in Salema, walking on the beach, looking for shells and admiring the colorful cliffs. It felt great to walk barefoot on the sand. Unfortunately it was more overcast than predicted, but I'll take that when it comes with 55-60 degrees. From there we drove to the Fortress of Aljuzar, originally built in the 10th century by Muslims. It was high on a hill, not far from private homes. Only parts of the walls remain but it was a good photo op...truthfully, every place is a good photo op for this group! Next stop...Arrifana with high cliffs looking down on crashing waves and fishing boats protected in a cove. And a good bathroom stop, always much appreciated. We finished the day of touring at Cape Sagres and Cape St. Vincent. Sagres was the home of Prince Henry the Navigator,'s school for explorers. Only parts of the original buildings remain but the idea that Magellan, daGama, and even Columbus learned navigation here was fascinating to me. Cape St. Vincent is the southwestern most point in Europe. I only wanted to find a marker that said that and, yes, take a picture, but apparently gift shops are more important than geographic markers. Still there were plenty of pictures taken!
These were all sleepy coastal town's off season, not many restaurants or shops were open or people around, but all surrounded by incredible natural beauty.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement




Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb