Portugal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
January 1st 2011
Published: January 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Off early towards Lagos. Booked into campsite just north of Luz and just west of Lagos. Rather run down and a bit muddy after all the rain they’ve had. Moved pitch once because of the noisy youngsters next door and managed to get stuck in the mud! Had to be pulled free by a tractor! Still it’ll do for a couple of nights and will let us get a chance to go into Lagos by bus tomorrow.

Sun 2nd Jan

Early bus into Lagos for a look around. Nice marina/port area but being a holiday & a Sunday most of the shops were closed. So we took the bus back and went down to the beach at Luz. Spectacular coastline, busy beach area with quite a few surfers. Note much surf but they were making the best of it. Had a nice sunny, warm lunch at a beach restaurant - most delicious sardine has I’ve ever eaten!
Lovely sunny day so we decided to walk back to the site (only a mile or so).

Mon 3rd Jan

Left campsite and drove down to Segres, had a look around the fort. Amazing to see the fishermen fishing from the cliff tops into water 400/500 feet below them! Even saw one guy catch a fish - looked like a mullet or bass, couldn’t see too well he was quick to put it away. Carried on to Cape St Vincent, again fishermen all over the place fishing from the cliffs. Beautiful views along the coast. drove on to Vila nova de Milfornes and set up at the municipal site - not all facilities (or Wi-fi) but cheap. Had a walk into town and along the “prom” (high beach) and into town. People fishing everywhere but not catching much.
When I came back to the van there was a highlift with a man and a chainsaw cutting off branches from the trees around the van! Colleen said they had been there a while and been swearing at the guy who was doing the cutting because he didn’t want to go up there! They didn’t get too close and eventually gave up when it got too dark. No hint of any H&E gear what so ever!

Tues 4th Jan

Picked up some bait from the local tackle shop and headed for the south bank of the river at Lisbon. Got lost several times - the roads along the coast weren’t in either the map or the sat nav. Finally arrived at Orbitur, on the beach at Ville de Caprisa (?), set up then had a walk down to the beach - blowing well although lots of people fishing from the rock groins. About 4 or 5 degrees colder here.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb