Day 57 Seville to Faro


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Faro
June 14th 2018
Published: June 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today we said “Hello” to Portugal and to the small city of Faro, the capital of southern Portugal’s Algarve region, on the coast. Our bus trip, even though only short, stopped at a number of small towns, which gave us an insight into the south western part of Spain before entering Portugal.

Coming into Faro it was hills and valleys covered in vegetation or crops of oranges, vines or vegetable crops. After walking around for quite a while, as well as t...aking an hour’s small boat trip out onto the Ria Formosa lagoon in the early evening, we were able to see that the dunes had created small islands and little peninsulas that protected a large area of marshes, channels and islets. Local fishermen were spotted out as well as an oyster farm. A sandy shoreline separated the waters of the Atlantic and Ria Formosa.

Our walk took us, as it usually does, into the old town, with its cobbled streets. Much of it has fallen into disrepair but there were areas that were being renovated. The Faro Cathedral, built in the 13th century, stands out in a large rectangular cobbled area. We were unable to enter it. The marina area is totally powerboats as the lagoon close to the town shore is too shallow for the keeled yachts which are moored further out. The changing tide also is a major reason why the yachts are out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 22


Advertisement
















Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb